Thankful Thursday

Thursday, April 10, 2014

This week has been AJ's spring break.  Of course, when you only go to school Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for half days, it's not as big of a deal as it probably is to the bigger kids.  Still, I've tried to do some fun, different things.  She got to spend the night with David's mom on Monday night (without Luke, which was a very big deal), I took them to a puppet show at the library yesterday, we had a mega play date complete with time at the playground/sand box and a pizza dinner, there was a surprise run-in with a friend at a park, and my mom is coming over tomorrow afternoon.  I know it probably won't be as exciting and memorable as future ones she spends splashing through the waves (in a full one-piece with her father and I looking on until she's at least 25 years old), but hopefully she has enjoyed it.

Here is this week's list:

1.  Dandelions.  And the little chubby fingers that grab them out of the dirt and the thoughtful, imaginative brains that wish upon them, and the precious sweet lips that blow their seeds all over the ground.  There are few childhood pleasures more simple and carefree than blowing dandelions.  

2.  Trying new fitness things.  Although training for my half marathons has kept me motivated and in shape, it's also kept me in a sort of rut/box, afraid to cross train.  I was often leery of missing important running time to do something else or risking an injury or soreness.  Since I'm not currently training for anything, though, I've branched out a bit the last two weeks.  I've been spending a lot of time on the stationary bikes and elliptical machines.  Then, this morning I took a 5:30am Bodypump (weight lifting) class.  I did not love the start time.  I will not love how impossibly sore I am tomorrow.  BUT, changing it up and trying new things?  Very cool.

3.  A forgiving heart.  Luke accidentally broke Audrey's special wand last week and David glued it back together.  She just remembered it this afternoon and was dancing around in it, declaring her princess royalty.  At her rest/quiet time, she wanted to take it into bed with her while she looked at books.  I leaned over to give her a kiss and braced myself against the bed...right onto the wand that was under the sheets.  I heard it crack and said, "Oh Audrey, I'm SO sorry, but I think I just broke your wand again."  She didn't hesitate, didn't cry, didn't even pout.  She simply said, "That's okay, Mommy.  Don't even worry about it" and gave me a kiss.  WOW.  The tender and immediate forgiveness was so sweet it made me tear up!

4.  April 10, 1999.  The day David and I met on a blind date.  Because he is the love of my life and my best friend.  Even when it's hard.  Even when I'm a witch.  Even when days go by without real hugs, real kisses, or real conversations.  He is my favorite and I am grateful for 15 years of knowing him.  

5.  Apparently today is National Siblings Day (who knew?!), so I will seize the chance to list that I am grateful for two awesome big brothers.  No one gets you and where you came from like your siblings.  It is such a blessing to walk through life having that kind of support and "I'll-always-be-here-no-matter-what" kind of love.  I also pray Luke and Audrey grow up being and staying the best of friends, if for no other reason than they'll both need to lean on each other when their father and I start losing our minds.  Some days it seems like it's not that far off... 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!