A Kindergarten Update

Thursday, August 14, 2014

We're well into week two of kindergarten for Audrey and she seems to still be enjoying it.  The past couple of mornings, she has made remarks like "Mommy, I wish I could stay home with you" and "I wish I didn't have to go to school so early!", but once we get going she is positive about it and doesn't ever say she doesn't want to go.  She comes home full of exciting stories and thankfully has endured my constant questions pretty well.  I can tell they're doing a lot of assessments, which is a relief to me that they're already on the ball figuring out where everyone stands.  

Luke is adjusting to her absence better than I thought and I believe he secretly enjoys running the roost a little...or at least having one less bossy female in his face all the time.  The other day he disappeared into the playroom and was pretty quiet. I called out, "Luke?  Whatcha doin'?" to which he giggled, "Just sittin' in Audrey's chair."  He is never "allowed" to do that when she's home, so he really thought he was getting away with something!  

As for me, I'm handling it pretty well.  I didn't cry the rest of the first week, but had a moment on Tuesday.  She is so small compared to the other kids (even the other kindergarteners) and it just hits me sometimes.  In the morning carpool line we never know where we're going to stop and she sometimes has a bit of a walk to the door.  This particular morning we stopped the farthest away that they allow kids to unload.  She got out and started trekking in and I teared up watching her.  As I kept looking, I saw a familiar little head by the door.  Audrey spotted her too and her face lit up and her hand waved and waved.  It was her buddy Kaelyn holding the door open and waiting for Audrey.  I felt like God was reminding me that she is not alone.  Of course I cried harder, but in a good way.  That precious, kind act made both mine and Audrey's mornings.  

Another thing I've struggled with is the lack of communication from the teacher.  Open House was a complete let down with nothing but a cafeteria menu given to us - no class list, no daily schedule, no specials rotation schedule, no form of contact.  At preschool, her teacher gave us her cell phone number for pete's sake.  I wasn't expecting that by any means, but did anticipate a little more.  I sent an email with some questions on the first or second day (after spending 15 minutes trying to track down her email address) and it took her over a week to respond.  No one, not even the President of the United States of America, should take over a week to respond to an email.  It's rude and it's unprofessional.  Yes, it's insanely busy and overwhelming for teachers during the first week of school.  Yes, she probably received 400 other emails.  But as the daughter of a teacher and a friend to many more, I know that good teachers prioritize communication between school and home.  Especially to newbies like kindergarten parents.  What made it worse was hearing how some of the other kindergarten teachers were apparently excelling in this department.  Oh, you got an email mid-morning every stinkin' day the first week telling you how awesome your baby was doing?  Salt in the wound, man.  Salt in the wound.  

That being said (written?), I finally got a response last night.  It was crazy short and curt and completely ignored my room parent offer, but I didn't care.  At this point I will take whatever I can get.  I am grateful for and hanging on every.single.word.  Maybe that was her plan.  I just wish she knew what an ally and support I could be.  So you're not technologically savvy (which, as a friend pointed out, is unacceptable in the year 2014)? I will put together and distribute a monthly calendar for you because I guarantee the other parents would much appreciate it.  I imagine that they, too, are getting tired of 8pm emails that state (and I quote):  "Your child is to wear _____ (color) to school tomorrow.  We are learning to read the color words.  Please continue to review the color words at home."  (No "Dear Parents" no "Thank you" no "It's been a good week".)  So the parapros aren't in the classes anymore and you're doing this all by yourself?  I will do whatever, whenever, where ever, and however you tell me to.  So you're overwhelmed and overworked?  I will come clean your house at night and massage your feet and read you a bedtime story.  HELP ME HELP YOU.  But you gotta reach out, sista.  

So that's been my biggest and only gripe so far.  David and I agreed, though, that it is conceivable that the teacher could be a horrible communicator and Audrey could still have a wonderful year and learn a lot.  I admit that if I have to choose, I would much prefer the teacher put her effort and energy into teaching, but I also need to know that there is an open channel there.  I don't expect everyone to operate the way I do - lawdy, the human race would've died out years ago from heart attacks.  Still, I hope to see some improvement in this area.  She's been teaching for many years and we've heard positive things from those who know her, so I'm trusting she knows what she's doing.  I just wouldn't mind hearing about what it is she is doing every once in awhile.  It's kindergarten, not middle or high school.  

But we'll supposedly get a ton of info at Curriculum Night next week.  I also joined the PTA Spirit Night committee to have a very low-key link to that group.  I didn't want to overcommit because I'm still holding out hope for room parent position, though at this point, I'm questioning what I'll be getting myself into with this one.  (Side note to hiring employees:  Room parent is a completely valid work experience position on a resume.)

After ranting about all that, I feel like I need to end on a more positive note.  I adore everything I've seen from the administration up there and how huge parent involvement is.  At the first Spirit Night, the response was amazing.  The principal and several APs were there alongside a dozen teachers (including Audrey's who came out from her post scooping ice cream to give her a hug - major points!)  I talked to several of the PTA members and they all agreed that you never have to worry about folks showing up to support the school.  They come out in droves, thank goodness.  I hope to see that more for myself as the year gears up and I get to volunteer in different capacities.  

I know. I can almost hear you: just have patience, Heather.  It's only week two.  Waiting has never been my strong suite, for sure.  Thankfully I've become fairly good at hiding that struggle to the imposing party and playing it cool.  I often recall a quote from a character on one of my favorite shows, Scrubs, "You can't let all your crazy out of the bottle at one time."  

So, in summary, Audrey is handling it like the rock star she is and I'm coping pretty well...or at least, hiding my crazy pretty well.  Because underneath or behind or somewhere surrounding all of this is the main issue:  My baby girl is a kindergartener.  I have less of a say (or even a knowledge of) what goes on in most of her day.  Even deeper than that...she doesn't need me to.  She doesn't need me as much, period.  It's going to take more than a week and a half to get used to that for sure.  I don't know if a Mama ever does.  They just learn to hide it with the rest of their crazy.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I've been thinking about you and Audrey and it sounds like things are going pretty well for you! Glad she is enjoying school! No surprise there! Just a head's up...the communication in elementary school as a whole is MUCH less than in preschool...which is a hard pill to swallow, I know. Yes, you will learn more at curriculum night, but be prepared to ask a ton of questions throughout the the year (I know you will!) as information is not as forthcoming. I think this happens for two reasons--1) the kids are learning to be more independent and the teachers want the kids to be the communicators on certain things, 2) the teachers are definitely overwhelmed with the scope of their job (assessments, parents, prep work etc.) The job of a preschool teacher is infinitely less complicated than an elementary school teacher and there are so many moving parts for the teachers that they have to choose where to place the bulk of their energy. For many of them, parent communication is toward the bottom of the list because "no news is good news," know what I mean? You will rarely, if ever, receive a detailed email response from a teacher because they simply don't have the time for that. Again, I KNOW this a hard thing and I still struggle with it in second grade, but it's pretty normal. Please don't take it personally! Hang in there and make your presence known, but try to be patient and give the teacher some time to get their ducks in a row. I think the first month of school is harder on teachers than it is on parents. Can we get together for coffee after Soren starts back at SHW? I would love to see you and give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're absolutely right, Charla! Thanks for your perspective as a ES parent and as a teacher. It's week three and I'm already way more chill than I was the first week, so hopefully I'll continue to improve and we'll strike a good balance of communication. We were just so spoiled at SHW! I would love to have coffee and see you! Send me a note with some dates when Soren starts back. Thanks again for your encouragement...I need other Mamas who've been there to help me through this!

    ReplyDelete