Taking a Stand

Friday, October 23, 2009

Let me preface this post by reminding you that I am not a theologian, nor am I a professional writer. (As if you could forget either of those facts.) I just had an "ah-ha" moment yesterday that has caused me to do some critical thinking and I wanted to express it here.

This week in Bible Study, we got into a great discussion about being IN the world, but not OF it. (John 15:18-19 & John 17:15-16) During this talk, one of the ladies made an excellent point. She said that somewhere along the way, our society has equated holding certain beliefs with being judgmental. And, somewhere along the way, this has become a bad thing.

The most frequent place we see this is the debate about homosexuality. I believe that it is wrong because the Bible says it's wrong. (Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, Romans 1:26-27, & 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.) But holding that belief often means that I am labeled as casting judgment on others.

I want to clarify that this post is not meant to be about whether homosexuality is right or wrong, though I'm sure that's what a lot of readers will focus on. I think that as humans, we put sin on levels that God does not. I am a sinner and though that may not be the particular sin I engage in, I am no better or worse than someone who does. I could have chosen any number of hot topics that most Christians are considered judgmental towards, including premarital sex or abortion.

Instead, these ramblings are more to make myself and others think about why it's considered being judgmental to take a stand. And, moreover, whether Christians should care and how we should respond. At what point does believing in something turn into judgment? Is it when the conversation shifts from the sin (homosexuality) to the person practicing it (the homosexual)? Does it turn into judgment when an action is taken, such as voting against gay marriage? Or is it just being judgmental because it is not the popular opinion? Am I being judgmental when I say that adultery or stealing is bad (other things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10)? Or is that simply having good morals because those things are still considered wrong by the majority?

(And on top of all that: Am I hypocritical AND judgmental because I would vote against gay marriage, but watch, and thereby support, shows that have gay characters? Hmmm...)

Is being called judgmental even a bad thing?

A common defense used by those being judged is Matthew 7:1-2, which reads: "Do not judge so that you will not be judged." Most people fail to quote the rest of Jesus' words in that passage, which are: "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

In my opinion, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't judge. It means that we should be prepared to be judged ourselves and therefore take a good look at our own faults before pointing out other people's. Hmmm...about those shows I watch...

What do you think? C'mon - according to Stat Counter there are 276 "unique visitors" that read this blog. Don't worry, I don't know WHO you are, just that you're reading. SO, go ahead and comment (politely)!

I guess the bottom line for me is that it does bother me a little, but nowhere near enough to stop standing up for the Truth the Bible teaches. I'll continue to strive for the "love the sinner, hate the sin" approach. After all...

"If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you." John 17:15-16

4 comments:

  1. Great post!! I have kinda been feeling the same way. I am trying real hard to love the sinner and not the sin (in everything) cause who am I to judge someone?!? I love reading your blog. Whether you are updating about that precious baby or other topics such as this one, I just love how you word things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the words of the wise Emma, "I LIKE IT!" You have done a great job stating the facts and bringing up a great point many people choose to ignore. I do think we should not judge. (I get what you are saying.) I believe Christians turn more people away from Jesus with protest signs and debate. There is a very fine appropriate line that can enable us to state God's desire for us all while expressing his love and showing His grace and mercy to the world as He has given us. As you consider when something "becomes" judgemental, it is important to remember who is doing the judging and the authority they have - or don't. Keep raising questions. A lot of people have stopped talking... which has led to the stoppage of thunking! Peace out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You asked for comments, so here we go! It's clear this is a topic of passion for you at the moment, so please understand I'm not trying to quench any fire that God is stirring up - this is just how I see it. I don't see this as a disagreement of what you're saying, maybe more an examination of the results of taking a stand and judging something.

    So you've taken a stand against sin X, you have your scriptural ducks in a row... but to what end? Simply believing something is right or wrong just for the sake of believing it doesn't generally turn the hearts of people to repentance. Even speaking out to people who are in sin X usually is fruitless.

    It's kind of like arguing on the Internet. Plenty of people go back and forth, but who's heart is ever changed?

    I think what I'm trying to say is, in my own life, I've only found one thing to be effective if the effects of some particular issue have weighed on me (most recently about abortion) - deep intercessory prayers calling for God to change this land/this person I know/this people/etc.

    As an example, we had one guy in our fellowship who was very passionate about abortion, and felt how it grieved the heart of God for ~3000 babies to be aborted per day in the U.S. The rest of us didn't even bat an eye at that. And then, one day, God led me to look up some more info about it... and it broke me. And so I began to pray regarding it. And God called us to go and pray in front of an abortion clinic 5 or 6 times this year. And called us to open up our homes to a mother and/or baby who would have otherwise been aborted. It hasn't happened yet, but we continue to seek it.

    I guess my point is this - the original guy in our fellowship could have sat us down and told us his stand on the issue, and showed us the verses about God carrying for the orphans, and God knitting babies together in the womb. And I'm sure we would have intellectually agreed with him. He didn't, he just pleaded with God for the mothers, and for his brethren (us). Had he chosen a more direct route with us, I don't think it would have affected us.

    So if I can attempt to end on an encouragement - if you want to take a stand for something, be willing to let God make it real, and tangible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric - you're absolutely right and I really appreciate your comments. Simply believing in something does not equal taking a stand. I think I mislabeled my post title.

    My goal was to bring up the topic of if and why I (we) let the fear of being labeled as judgmental effect my (our) taking a stand. And, knowing that, how we should proceed. Cautiously? Or without caring about that label? I thought if maybe I could understand that, it would be easier to get over it and push ahead. But maybe it's a moot discussion.

    I do think it's important to raise questions (thanks Sturgess) so that we can think things through and talk it out, but I never want to do so at the expense of actually putting words into action.

    It sounds like your friend has done a great job of walking the fine line. It is awesome how God has answered his prayers and used his passion to move others to get involved and make a difference.

    I'm still trying to discern what stand(s) God is asking me to take and how to carry them out. Hopefully, when He does reveal that, I'll have the guts to do it.

    Thanks again for the comments, friends. It's nice to think about something other than dirty diapers.

    ReplyDelete