Word of the Year for 2017

Friday, January 6, 2017

In addition to some new specific goals for 2017, I decided to choose a word of the year for the first time.  This has become a super trendy thing over the last couple of years but I always resisted it because I didn't want to dedicate the brain space or be boxed in by a single word.  However, since I was doing all the prep work for Powersheets anyway and choosing a "WOTY" is part of that deal, I decided to give it a try.

I spent about a week thinking through ideas, making a list of possibilities, and praying about it.  I was so worried about picking just the right word that I almost didn't do one at all.  Then I remembered not to let perfect be the enemy of good and I finally settled on "faithful."  It calls to mind both my desire to be committed to my goals and how faithful God is to me.

Here is a picture of my card along with a definition and bible verses I chose to go with it:


My handwriting and the plainness of this card drives me nuts!  But the point is what it says, not how it looks.  Don't let perfect be the enemy of good!

I also came across a quote that I love that goes right along with my word and the heart behind it:  "You don't have to be the world's definition of success.  You only have to be God's definition of faithful."  That'll preach.

I encourage you to give this a shot.  Who cares if it's not January 1st!  If choosing something for the whole year feels overwhelming, just pick one for the rest of the month.  Or, one that encompasses a single goal you have.  And if a phrase works better, go with that!  Basically, make it your own and do what works best for you.  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!