Thankful Thursday

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Today was NUTS.  We left the house at 8am and headed to the gym so I could squeeze in a workout.  (Nothing is as motivating as swimsuit season, I tell ya.)  I picked up the kids from gym childcare and we went to order new glasses frames for AJ.  Though we really didn't have time to deal with it today, we were already out and I couldn't believe a week had gone by since her eye exam without me having ordered new glasses, so we bit the bullet and got it done.  The kids were very patient and well-mannered and the whole process was relatively painless...until it came time to pay, that is.  

We raced home from that, changed into swim suits, slathered on sunscreen, and hit the pool for the kids' swim lessons.  Just like every day this week, I stuffed a picnic lunch into one while the other was doing their lesson and then swapped.  At the end, I let them have a few minutes of free swim before loading our hot, tired, wet selves up and heading home for nap/rest time.  I got them dried off and settled and then did my conference call and worked for two hours.  I got the kids up, jumped in the shower while they ate snack, and then we drove to Audrey's gymnastics class.  (She's doing a once a week class for six weeks this summer.)  She did great and Luke enjoyed alternating between sneaking peaks at the class and coloring with me.  

The class wrapped up and we met David for a quick dinner and a sweet treat from Rita's.  He took the kids home to start baths while I stopped by a couple of businesses to talk to them about race sponsorships and then went by the grocery store on the way home.  We put the kids to bed, did laundry, and that brings me here to you now...with my eyelids drooping.

Summer oh summer, where for art thou "supposed to be chill" summer?

Today was not the norm, of course, but overall it has been a little crazier than I would prefer.  VBS, our trip to New Smyrna Beach (maybe I'll post about that one day), AJ's birthday party (maybe I'll get around to a post on that, too), swim lessons... None of these things are chores by any means, but they have kept us busy.  I'm hoping it'll slow down a little next week and, if not, certainly by mid-July.  In the midst of the busyness, though, I'm trying to focus my attention on the blessings and perks.  Here is this week's list:

1.  Brave little ones who are conquering their fears in swim lessons.  Luke was super anxious on the first day, even crying and telling the coach "NO!" at one point, but he's a completely different student now and doing fantastic.  Audrey has built up her solo- floating to a full 30 seconds and is working hard at freestyle and backstroke.  I'm so proud at their perseverance (which, fittingly, is our virtue of the month.  Don't think I haven't run that into the ground this week!)

2.  Eye improvement for AJ.  Though we found out at last week's appointment that she still has to patch for another three months, her eyes are improving!  In fact, her farsightedness has decreased by 25%.  Pray with us that these next 90 days bring about an end to patching for her!

3.  Not nursing or sleeping in 2-3 hour increments.  I know that sounds like a crazy thing to list, but it definitely crossed my mind when I took a meal to a friend earlier this week who just had a baby.  Oh man was I exhausted just thinking about that stage!  Her tiny daughter was precious and there are certainly moments I miss from that sweet time with my own two, but thank you Lord that I am no one's meal ticket and that sleep comes in much larger blocks these days.  

4.  Audrey and Luke's close relationship at this moment.  I'm well aware that by writing about this I'm going to ruin it, but it's just so amazing how well they're getting along right now!  I firmly believe it's because Audrey has way more patience with him than when she's had to put up with 17 other kids and a teacher at school all day.  Plus, he's so pumped to have a playmate other than mom that he'll go along with most of her ideas.  It's not perfect, mind you, but it's going quite well.  Please, please, please let it last!

5.  Podcasts.  I think I've listed this one before, but they really are such a good way to make monotonous tasks more bearable.  I found a new one that I'm hooked on now ("Happier" by Gretchen Ruben) in addition to some of my favorites (God Centered Mom, Inspired to Action, and Big Boo Cast.)  Check them out while you're driving, cleaning, or exercising and just see if it doesn't perk you up and make the time go by faster!

6.  Date night at a new restaurant.  Love me some date nights, love me some Italian food.  Put the two together and I'm over the moon!  :)  David and I got to sneak away for a couple of hours earlier this week and I know it gave me the boost to carry me through the rest of the week's busy t0-dos.  (I highly recommend Parma restaurant if you haven't been, by the way.)

7.  That feeling when you come inside from being at the pool.  The air conditioning hits you and there's a little smell of chlorine lingering and your lungs are tired...it's just quintessential summer to me.  

8.  Progress on the race that I'm putting on in our neighborhood this fall.  This week I've hit 17 businesses in person about sponsorships and emailed 6 others.  I know it's going to take asking 30-40 to get a solid 10, so pray for continued motivation for me and for interest from them!  Tomorrow marks 90 days out!

9.  Laughter with the kids.  Audrey and Luke's senses of humor are blossoming and I'm trying to make a conscious effort to join in, cut up, and laugh more with them.  Earlier this week we passed a port-a-potty being transported on a piece of construction equipment and made up a story about what it would be like if someone had been inside when they moved it.  We were all laughing so hard I thought we might have to pull over and find a real potty!  

10.  Peace.  When you make the right call at the right time and you know it's God's will, there is a confident, incomparable peace that washes over you.  Sorry to vague-blog, but I've reached the end of my stamina tonight...more later.

Sweet dreams!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!