Thankful Thursday

Thursday, December 16, 2010

1.  My Dad, whose birthday is today.  The older I get, the more I realize what a great Dad he was (is) and the more I appreciate all he's done (does) for me (all of us).  Though David has long taken over first place as the main man in my life, he's a very formidable and close second.  Love you, Dad!


2.  The cold weather.  (And indoor play dates!)  Yes, it's been a bit too cold for my taste, but I would much prefer these temps than to have it be warm at Christmastime.  I love it cold between mid-November and New Year's.  Beyond that, bring on the 70s!


3.  New pictures in frames.  I decided we were long overdue for updating some pictures around the house, so I replaced/put up 40+ new pics (most in collage frames) a little over a week ago and am currently working on updating our digital frame that hasn't had a new file in it in years.  I love walking around the house and seeing these cute and beautiful little pieces of art, even if I was insane to take it on during the holiday season.  It's finished now and it looks great!


4.  Being a part of a church where God is doing big things:  


http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/lawrenceville-church-plans-to-771320.html 


5.  Enjoying the season!  I promised myself I was not going to be in the same boat this Christmas season as I was last year.  I think it was a mix of Audrey's age plus David pulling really, really long hours, but last December was a stressed-out, frantic mess that we barely enjoyed.  (I just reread the posts from a year ago and remember how nuts it was!)


So, this year I have busted my tail to be finished shopping/wrapping/decorating early.  Maybe not as early as I had it done pre-Audrey, but still early enough.  I have forced myself to turn down things and invitations that would've been fun, but that would've meant less family/down-time.  I've even taken a few short-cuts that no one but me noticed anyway.  My family may be a little disappointed in the lack of photo calendars and homemade applesauce (sorry, y'all) but I'm willing to bet they'd rather me spend that time and energy soaking up this most wonderful time of year.


All of this reorganization of priorities has resulted in an awesome season full of simple pleasures.  In fact, one of the highlights of my life was snuggling with David and Audrey, eating pizza, and watching the original Grinch movie the other night.  I've seriously dreamed of doing that since I was a little girl watching The Grinch myself.  I've gotten to have lunch with both my parents, dinner and a light show with my in-laws, and caught up with friends over meals and way-too-much dessert. We have even watched a few Christmas movies that we've owned for years and just now opened.


I am so grateful that we've had some real quality time to spend together doing fun things.  I know what a rarity that is this time of year.  Hopefully you're able to do the same these next nine days!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!