Happy 6 Months, Baby Boy!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Today is Luke's 6 month "birthday".  How on earth is he already six months old?  I am thrilled that he's growing like a weed and doing so well, but part of me is also really, really sad because I know he's my last baby and it's gone/going by so quickly.  

Here's a little peek at what our big boy is into these days:

  • He started rice cereal at four months and then this past weekend we began feeding him baby food.  His first was sweet potatoes and then he had peas.  He likes them both and didn't even make a face at the taste of the peas!
  • He is sitting up on his own, but still props on his belly a good bit when he does.  
  • He can roll over both ways, but hardly ever does (as in, I think he's done it a grand total of about 5 times.)  I'm a little concerned about this and will bring it up at his next check-up in few weeks, but I think he's honestly just content to lay on his back or tummy or to sit up.
  • His hand coordination is getting really good.  And, as is the standard for babies his age, what goes into his hands immediately goes into his mouth.  We have frequent talks with Audrey about things we need to make sure are out of his reach!
  • He is an incredibly content baby.  Of course he fusses when he's tired or wants to be held, but 99% of the time, he'll stop as soon as I pick up him.  He rarely ever cries if he's in my arms and just loves sitting there taking the world in.
  • He is still on his reflux medicine, but it seems the past week or so the spit-up has finally started to decrease.  We may try to wean him off of it after this round and see if he's finally outgrowing it now that we've started solid foods.
  • No teeth yet, but I can tell he's working on them!  Lots of drool and gumming things.  
  • He still loves his pacifier.  I try to put him down without it at night, but at some point (usually at several points) he wakes up and I have to go pop it in his mouth.  Not sure how to fix this issues. I guess the solution would be letting him cry it out until he can learn to either find it himself or use his thumb.  Right now I'm just not willing to do that for fear of him waking Audrey, so for the time being, I get up between 1 and 4 times a night just to reinsert a paci and then once to feed him.  
  • He loves peek-a-boo and being tickled, both of which produce the most adorable giggles and grin you've ever heard and seen.  
  • He wears size 4 diapers and is in 9 - 12 month clothes.  I haven't weighed him lately, but I think he has to be at least 20lbs by now and will be moving into a bigger car sear in the very near future!
  • He adores his sister and the feeling is mutual.  It melts me to watch her love on him or see him grin at her.  I pray they have a wonderful relationship as they grow up together!  

And here's a look at his schedule these days:

Sometimes between 4:00am - 5:00am - Wakes to eat and goes back to sleep
Sometime between 6:45am - 7:15am - Wakes and nurses
7:45am - has 3 tablespoons of rice cereal mixed w/ breastmilk (soon to be mixed with fruit)
8:30am - 9:15am -I shower while he's in his bouncy seat, then playtime.  We usually read and/or he plays in the exersaucer
9:15am - 10:30am - Morning nap.  I finish getting myself and Audrey dressed, do laundry, and get the house ready in case of a showing.
10:30am - Nurses and I get him dressed
11:00am - 1:00pm - Play date or errands, us girls eat lunch
1:00pm - Nurses while Audrey plays
1:30 - 3:30 - Afternoon naps for both kids. (AJ goes down around 1:45 or 2 until 3:30)
3:30 - Nurses while Audrey eats a snack and I read to her
4:00 - 6:00 - play time, errands, chores, cook dinner, etc.
6:00 - Nurses, then eats a veggie and 3 tablespoons of rice cereal.  Dinner for all of us around 6:30
7:00 - 8:00 - play time, bath time.
8:15 - family bedtime story, devotion, and prayers.  Nurses then goes down for the night.

So that's Little Man's schedule these days.  Of course, it varies and we're flexible (waaaay more so than we were with AJ!)  At least two days a week, we head out around 9:30 to meet for a play date somewhere and he naps for 20-30 minutes in the car then. And occasionally he'll catnap here and there, especially if we're at home around 5:30.  He enjoys a good 15-20 minute pre-dinner snooze in my arms and frankly, I love it too.  I plan on dropping a nursing session in the next week or two and restructuring his eating times a bit, but just haven't had the time or patience to mix up anything in our world right now!

I love seeing his laid-back, sweet-as-pie personality develop.  He gets dragged around by two strong-willed females all day and just goes with the flow.  Guess he thinks we're worth putting up with, just like his Daddy does.  It'll only be by the grace of God if I don't make this kid a complete Mama's boy.  :)

Happy 6 months, Lukey.  We love you!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!