Thankful Thursday

Thursday, December 19, 2013

1.  My Dad, whose birthday was Monday.  Since this blog is about 4 1/2 years old, I feel like I'm starting to say the same things about loved ones when it's their birthday.  The bottom line:  He's the best Dad a girl could ever ask for and I am eternally grateful for what he has taught me about God, life, relationships, and even a few handyman tricks.  Happy Birthday, Dad!  We love you!

2.  A day at HOME.  Aside from days when I've spent the entire time cleaning house, today was the first weekday I've been home with both kids from breakfast through nap in months.  Seriously.  We are constantly on the go and this month has been especially nuts.  It was awesome to be here with them and not have a thing to do (okay, a little laundry) or a place to be (though we did hit the park post-nap).  We did a Christmas craft, played blocks for an hour, colored, had a lunch picnic in front of the Christmas tree (with Luke's first PB&J, no less!), cozied up and read books, and played pretend campout.  Fun!

3.  Personal growth.  If you've known me for more than five minutes you know that I am a Type-A, OCD perfectionist.  But in my old, old age, I am seeing a little improvement that I'm thankful for.  For example, at the last minute I got an email from another mom in Audrey's class saying she couldn't bring the cookies she'd signed up to bring for the post-program party because her daughter was sick.  Once upon a time I would've stayed up late baking something from scratch, but instead I whipped into Kroger and bought a couple dozen of their beautifully displayed Christmas cookies.  Earlier this week, I was stressing about getting something done on my to-do list and then I suddenly stopped, realized it wasn't a priority, and just like that, took it off the list and let it go.  On Saturday we hosted a party for friends and ate pizza on paper plates.  I know these seem like really small and insignificant things, but trust me, they're big deals and I'm thankful for them!

4.  A road-trip play date.  Last Thursday the kids and I drove up to Greenville SC to visit my sweet friend Kara and her three little ones.  We met at a children't museum and played the day away before swapping Christmas gifts and hitting the road.  It was wonderful to see them and catch up and I hope there are many, many more miles put on the van doing just that.

5.  An evening jog with the kids.  According to Luke and his "watch" it was 40 minutes long!  Love these sweet babies and am so grateful for them, their health, and the example of healthy lifestyle they're seeing from my running.  It should help a little in offsetting the example they're seeing set in my cookie consumption. :)





In less than one week from today, Christmas will be over, y'all!  I am praying we stay healthy and that time slows down so we can really soak it up.  I hope the same for you and yours!  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!