Thankful Thursday

Thursday, February 13, 2014

I have finally started my January Recap and had really hoped to be finished by now, but it hasn't happened.  So, I am interrupting my work on that post to bring you this week's TT post, because I'm just that dedicated.  You're welcome. 

Beginning Tuesday morning and continuing through this morning, we've had snow and ice in metro Atlanta to the tune of 6" + in our area.  Yeah, yeah.  We know.  That's nothing compared to what Northerners have to deal with, especially this winter.  Welp, that's a huge reason we live where we do.  Because we aren't huge fans of this kind of weather and we don't know how to handle it!  As one blogger put it, I invite my Yankee friends to meet down here in July and discuss ways we can better prepare ourselves for the snowy weather.  We'll do it outside without the nonsense of shade and it'll be so hot that within 4 seconds you'll want to peel your own skin off.  High temps and humidity?  Yeah, we can handle those.  Tornadoes?  We know just what to do.  Snow?  Not so much.  And that's okay.  (Yes, I get defensive about my South.  And that's okay too.)

Still, we did much better this go-round than a few weeks ago when it started coming down mid-morning and millions of people left work at the exact same moment and schools let out early.  People were trapped for 6, 8, even 12 or more hours trying to get home.  Kids spent the night in schools (none in our county, but many elsewhere), loved ones were separated with dead cell phones, interstates and roads were covered with abandoned cars.  It was awful!  So you can imagine that when this forecast came out, people did all they could to hunker down and stay home.  David worked from home yesterday and today, thankfully.  Audrey was out Wednesday and will be out tomorrow and we've all got cabin fever creeping in.  Truthfully, it hasn't been as bad as I expected though.  We really have had a great time together and soaked up all of the normal "snow day things", which brings me to my list:

1.  S'mores.  Eewwwy-gooey and oh so yum!  Luke enjoyed his first this week.



2.  Long bubble baths.  Not just for me, but for the kids too!  When all else fails, throw them in the tub to play!  

3.  Getting in a run.  I missed Tuesday's run because of weather and thought I'd have to skip today's.  I am so used to running early in the morning that it didn't really dawn on me to go this afternoon until, well, this afternoon.  David finished up work around 4:15 and I hit the pavement.  It was really weird to go that time of day (and to be surrounded by snow!), but I'm glad I did.  Half Marathon #3 is just around the corner!

4.  Playtime.  We are on the go a lot. These last couple of days offered us some time to slow down and play together for hours on end.  We did science experiments, pretended our living room was the beach, made snow cream, drank hot chocolate, had a snowman-building contests, watched home movies, and read a lot of books.  There was a bunch of giggling and laughter and only a small amount of yelling.  It was fun!  

That being said...


5.  That power stayed on.  Not only for heat and cooking and all that super important stuff, but also because...well, as I put it on FB:  Snow Days #1 & #2: "Let's play in it! Let's build a snowman! Let's make s'mores! Let's pretend we're at the beach! Let's have hot chocolate! Let's build a fort! Let's do some fun experiments!" Snow Day #3: "...Y'all wanna watch some more TV?"

Yeah, we're kinda done.  So long, snow!  You were beautiful, but we need to return to our regularly scheduled programming.  Try and make it back for Christmas, though!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!