Thankful Thursday

Thursday, February 26, 2015

It has been a really strange couple of weeks in our house.  The weather has been nuts, for one thing.  Audrey was out of school for President's Day last week and then they closed for a day due to an ice storm.  We lost power for 24 hours, which was a cold pain in the rear.  Thankfully the roads were clear enough for us to go out and get warm elsewhere, so we hit up Zaxby's and Dollar Tree, came home for naps, and then went Kids Up (it's like a Monkey Joe's) followed by Cracker Barrel for dinner.  

This week, which was already wacky with two scheduled early release days due to parent-teacher conferences, another storm moved in.  The county cancelled school yesterday, even though it wasn't supposed to start snowing (nor did it) until nearly 5pm.  Obviously everyone was playing it safe after last year's catastrophic city shut-down.  It didn't amount to much at all and the kids only stomped around in the dribble we got for about ten minutes.  

Anyway, Audrey went today, though most counties were still closed.  Frankly, I'm glad they didn't call it since our superintendent insists on 180 school days, regardless of whether or not the governor declares a state of emergency and excuses them.  We will have to make up the two remaining built-in days (one we were supposed to get off in March and one by tacking on a day to the end of the school year).  If we miss any additional days due to weather, the county will decide whether to extend the school day like they did last year or extend the year with additional days.  Cool, huh?

What a giant mess.  I'm glad I'm not in charge of making those calls...though I'd be more than happy to throw in my two cents (hint: LET IT GO, MAN.  It's 1-2 days!  You think the kids are gonna learn anything that last day of school?!)  Hopefully we are finished with this bad (or at least, anticipated bad) weather and they won't have to make up any more.  

So, there's been THAT weird stuff going on, which in turns changes and cancels all kinds of plans and y'all know how that's my favorite.  Add Luke's birthday party festivities and some pretty major other stuff I'll get into later (sorry for vague-blogging...not ready to share yet but NO I'm not pregnant) and I'm just ready for spring and sunshine.  

In an effort to keep a positive attitude, I thought I'd dust off my Thankful Thursday skills:

1.  This kid.  Oh, this kid.  I absolutely cannot believe he is THREE now.  He had a wonderful party and birthday this past weekend and has officially kissed toddlerhood goodbye.  (Except he's still in diapers.  And uses a pacifier at night.  Whatever.  We'll get there.)  Still, he is our extroverted ball of energy who will only slow down if he thinks a snuggle might be in it for him. He has a heart of gold (until you try to cross his sister) and the most sensitive, sweet spirit (unless you wanna sword fight.) He is always quick to provide comedic relief when we start taking life too seriously. God certainly knew exactly what we needed when He blessed us with Luke.  Love you, Bubba, and Happy Birthday!





2. Post-trip, post-consignment, post-party, post-etc downtime.  I feel like the past few months have been one long marathon of events.  We had the busy holidays and then immediately after, we turned our focus to prepping for consignment and Disney World.  David traveled a lot a few weeks in a row somewhere in there plus work was busy for me plus we shopped for and bought a car.  Then, Disney was done and it was all about Valentine's Day.  Then Small Group starting back.  Then Luke's birthday and party.  I'm happy to have just a couple of weeks without some event coming down the pipe.  Although there's that vague-blogging thing I'll get into more later...and Teacher Appreciation Week soon.  But I'm not borrowing worry from tomorrow.  For this very moment in time, I do not have much on the agenda, and that's a nice, welcomed change.  

3.  Speaking of small groups starting back, that's next on this list.  David and I began co-leading another semester with the same folks as last time.  I won't pretend I don't enjoy a lazy Sunday afternoon during the time off, but I do really like meeting and discussing with this group of sweet people.  They have become friends that I enjoy seeing and catching up with every week.  We definitely couldn't do it solo right now and are also very appreciative of our sweet co-leaders!

4.  Having kids that can entertain themselves for long stretches.  I do miss some things about babyhood, I really do.  But oh my stars is it amazing the way the kids can* play together for long periods of time now that they're older!  Yesterday, I took a shower, fixed my hair and make-up, and got completely dressed (about a 45 minute routine) and they managed to play together NICELY the entire time without interrupting me once.  No TV or screen was in use, so double the miracle!

*Note:  I didn't say they always do.  They are capable, but sometimes choose to fight, quarrel, and drive their mama crazy instead.  

5.  This song.  It is resonating big time for me right now and has been for weeks, though I didn't have a good reason until lately.  Sorry for the cheesiness of the video.  Just ignore it and listen to the message in the lyrics.  


  

Pray up for us, y'all.  I'll be in touch.  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!