Thankful Thursday

Thursday, July 9, 2015

So after typing out today's TT list, I realize it's more like a novella, but I'm going with it:

1.  A fantastic 4th of July!  Though the rain shifted some plans here and there, we still got to see the Taylors and go to fireworks on Friday and then to David's Aunt's annual family reunion on Saturday.  It was great seeing everyone, eating yummy food, and celebrating America's 239th birthday.  

2.  Race progress!  After hitting two dozen businesses in person and emailing ten more, we are getting somewhere.  We have two bronze sponsors, a gold sponsor, and two committed-but-undecided-on-level sponsors.  I have a long way to go, but this is GREAT!  

3.  Sweet kids and immediate perspective.  Tuesday was a long day.  I only slept about five hours the night before and we had to be up and out the door for the kids' dentist appointments that morning.  They both got through it very well, but the x-ray revealed a small cavity on one of Audrey's teeth (oh hello, Mommy guilt), which means we get to go back and deal with that in a couple of weeks.  We went from there 25 minutes farther out to drop off a donation and then drove the 45 minutes home for lunch.  After lunch I put them down for rest/nap, made about a dozen phone calls and sent emails for race sponsorships, and then got on my conference call for work.  After it was over (which, being one of my last ones, brought up mixed emotions), I got the kids up, shoved a snack in them, and went to the bank and the grocery store.  

Now, I gave you all of this back story because I need you to understand my reaction in what transpired next.  It had been a long, full day and I was also...well, let's just say "hormonal."  I walked out to the garage to get something out of the refrigerator we have out there and noticed the freezer door didn't look closed.  Squeezing one eye shut and peeking with the other, I hoped against hope I was wrong as I checked.  Turns out I was not wrong.

The door had been open for quite some time...long enough for everything inside to have gotten completely thawed and turned to mush.  And by everything, I mean ALL the meals I'd prepared for "Grandparent Weekend" when we're on our trip, all of Audrey's GF cupcake stash I have for birthday parties/events she gets invited to, and all of the strawberries we proudly picked that I use for smoothies.  Plus some frozen GF bread, bagels, tortillas, and pizza.  I couldn't help myself, I stood there and cried some big ol' tears like a big ol' baby.  All that WORK...gone!  The time spent, the money spent!  I had those meals done and checked off and now I had to start all over again!  

The kids saw me and asked what was wrong.  I explained the situation and they gave me hugs and then disappeared.  Which was fine by me, because I needed a minute to collect myself.  Later they returned with this handmade card:



The inside read:  "Love you!  We can help you make new food."

I mean, really.  I got all teary-eyed again, squeezed them tight, and thanked them profusely.  I got a grip quickly after that because, let's face it, I was sad about losing meals that my amazing parents and in-laws will be feeding my kids while I get to go on an awesome trip with my husband.  Talk about a first-world problem.  It was a bummer, but I overreacted.  I explained that to the kids and we talked about how emotions sometimes get the best of us...even as adults.  I'm so thankful for their sensitivity and thoughtfulness.  And may I have a little more grace the next time the two of them show a little drama.  They do come by it so very honestly.

4.  A new hairdresser.  I had been going to the same girl for nearly two years.  Every 6-8 weeks for TWO years and she never knew my kids' or husband's names, never asked how things were in my life, never followed up with what little news I did manage to squeeze into a conversation.  Which is fine, if you're nailing the hairdo, but lately that had been majorly slipping.  I've been attempting to grow it long for almost a year and made very little progress because she kept cutting off too much.  This past visit was the straw that broke the camel's back when she gave me a pretty hardcore mullet on one side.  I'd been so hesitant to leave because she's always done a great job on the color, but I was just a few feathered bangs short of a 80s rock star and had to make the call.  It helped that she'd recently made comments like "In just four years, I'm going to be THIRTY.  Gah!" and "I mean, it was a new Coach bag and only cost $400!" (For the record, I do own a couple of Coach bags, but their combined total did not cost me $400.)  The time had come for us to part ways.  

So I asked around and got a couple of recommendations for a place nearby.  I walked in and wasn't immediately snubbed by the lady working the front desk, which was refreshing.  I sat down, talked with the new hairdresser (who is 34, married, and has a four year old - already liking her!) and she...get this...did EXACTLY what I asked her to do and did it well!  I'm pleased as pie.  I didn't have her do color today, so the real test will come then, but my fingers are crossed.  This could be the one.  Laugh if you will, but the relationship between southern women and their hairdressers is vital, y'all.  Haven't you seen Steel Magnolias?!  I need this to work out.

5.  After writing a list that included me fussing over thawed food and a hairdresser, I feel like I owe you a deeper finale.  I leave you with this amazing video I watched this morning about some unsung heroes of 9/11.  I'm so thankful they were there to help and so glad our country has this kind of bravery and heroism through and through:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MDOrzF7B2Kg?rel=0)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!