Thankful Thursday

Thursday, March 17, 2016

1.  Being back in the running saddle.  I have taken a long time off from running outdoors.  A looooong time.  Ever since I was a teenager I would jog off and on, usually just enjoying it in the spring and fall or getting into a routine before the occasional race.  Since the spring of 2013, however, I have been incredibly faithful to the sport, rarely taking more than a week or two off regardless of weather.  Back in November, though, I decided to add swimming to my workout routine and have been focusing on that and biking or doing the elliptical, which fulfilled my cardio requirements.  I've been doing a couple miles on the treadmill once a week when I do brick workouts, but other than that, my feet haven't pounded pavement since early December.  Now that the temperatures are warming up, I decided it was time.  I was admittedly nervous when I headed out, but because I've been doing other cardio, I did way better than I thought I would.  And man, did it feel good to know a) I still had it and b) it's still the amazing release that it always has been.  

2.  Teachers!  It's Teacher Appreciation Week at both kids' schools this week, which has been no easy feat.  I planned themes, constantly communicated with parents of both classes,  bought gifts, put together a Shutterfly book for AJ's teacher, and even subbed for her class for a little while the teacher attended a PTA luncheon.  Like I say, Teacher Appreciation Week is when I get exhausted working hard to show gratitude for people that work ten times as hard for 35 times longer.  God bless 'em.

3.  Margin.  Last Spring was when I first started contemplating quitting my job.  I had zero "blank space" in my life and it was starting to choke me.  We were just getting our feet wet with the Celiac diagnosis, we were potty training Luke, I was balancing Teacher Appreciation Week and Kindergarten Market Day, I was hitting frustrating walls with the Timber Trek, and David was working a ton of long hours.  We had a million other little things going on and life was just doing a number on me.  Don't get me wrong, things are still busy around here, but there seems to be a bit more breathing room these days.  I know that's partially because the kids are getting older and Luke is in preschool two mornings a week, but the biggest reason is because I'm not working anymore.  Those few hours a week I got back are just what I needed to better stay on top of stuff.  (Yes, I realize just by writing this that I am dooming myself to forget a kid somewhere or drop the ball in some other huge way.)  But overall, I'm at least beginning to be able to do things at the pace and timing I prefer (which we all know is way before they actually need doing, but whatever, man) and it feels so much nicer.  

4.  Coffee.  It used to be that I would only drink a cup of caffeinated coffee a couple of times a week and do decaf or nothing the other mornings.  I'm not exactly sure when that changed, but I now have one cup of caffeinated every single day.  And truthfully, I kinda live for that mug-sipping moment of joy each morning.  Anticipating it has gotten me through more than one tough workout.  If I had known what a better mood it would put me in, I would've switched to having regular every day a long time ago. 

5.  Time with the Taylors!  Kara and the kids came through town on Friday evening on the way to her parents' house and we got to have a playdate and pizza picnic with them (and the bonus of two of her sister's sweet kiddos, too!)  We love picking up right where we left off whenever we hang out with them.  



The girls enjoying the tire swing.




Audrey and Charleigh (at 9 months) have been 
swing buddies for quite some time.


That's it for this week!  Enjoy spring and the beautiful blooms everywhere!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!