October 2016 Recap - Complete with Pictures!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

I'm not even going to address the absence since my last post.  Even though I have this postdated early November (thank you, Blogger, for that feature), I know the break was there.
You know it was there.  And I know neither of us like it.  BUT, I know that it matters to me that I keep plugging away at this blog even if I do it so sporadically that there are probably only two of you out there who still read it.  My biggest goal is to get these stories, quotes, and recaps down so one day my kids (grandkids?!) can read them and know what our life was like.  Even if that's only a handful of times a year, it's better than nothing.  I don't know that I'll keep it up forever, but I know I'm not quitting yet.  

Shew - good thing I didn't address the absence.  

Here are some bullet points from October:
  • Kara and I took our annual girls' trip.  This year we went to Asheville, North Carolina and it was awesome.  This trip was especially sweet because of all that she's gone through with her Guillain-Barre Syndrome diagnosis in March.  I remember sitting in the hospital in the spring talking to her about it.  I joked that I'd push her around in a wheelchair if I had to, but that we would have our trip!  On the trip I joked that I was glad I didn't have to push her around in a wheelchair because Asheville is very, very hilly.  ;)  We shopped, ate (even having cake for lunch one day because we are adults and why not?!), got pedicures, and solved all the worlds problems in two days.  I am so thankful for her, her friendship, and our time together!
 Kara and I in front of the Double D's Dessert Bus in Asheville
  • David and I threw a joint 60th birthday party for his parents.  His mom's birthday was in August and his Dad's is in October, but since September was consumed with the Timber Trek, we had it in early October.  Most of both sides of the family came and we had such a good evening talking, laughing, eating, and celebrating them.  We even got a piñata since David's dad mentioned a few months prior that he'd never had one.  The colors were burgundy and gold, we had Ippolito's cater the dinner, and the cakes were from Nothing Bundt Cakes.  The slideshow we put together was by far my favorite part.  I loved getting to see all of those priceless photos of them!
Family that came out for Pam and Ed's 60th Birthday Party 

Breaking open the piñata

Pam and her family 

Ed and his family

Audrey and Luke with Pam and Ed at the party
  • We took our annual trek up to Jaemor Farms.  I think this will be the last year that David lets us do the mini corn maze instead of the full one, so this may be the last time I ever mention Jaemor Farms in writing.  ("Honey.  Do you see them sweating, frustrated, and going around in circles?  I had to break off a corn stalk back there to remember where we've been and a swarm of bees nearly attacked me.  What makes you want to sign up for another 45 minutes to an hour of this?!"  Maybe his goal is to lose us.  That's the only logical explanation I can think of.)  The kids loved the big tunnel slide (Luke's first year giving it a try!), the petting zoo (they had pigs this time!), the hay ride (still doesn't actually have any hay), and the mini pumpkin "train" (first time letting them go solo!)  We ate our picnic lunch, chose a big family pumpkin and two littles ones for the kids' rooms, and headed home.  
Audrey and Luke on the little Pumpkin Train at Jaemor Farms
  • In case you hadn't heard, Halloween is the new Christmas when it comes to school events.  There is so much to do!  It started with Luke's fall festival (the last preschool fall festival - how can it be?!) Praise Jesus I did NOT get fake tattoo booth duty during my volunteer shift this year.  I've done my fair share over the years and, without fail, get sick three days later from holding all those little germy hands while I slap a "Shine Bright" cross jack-o-lantern on them.  Luke loved the putt-putt station and the bouncy house the best, in case you were wondering.  We also did a morning of "special centers" one day that I planned and prepped for his class.  They painted a candy corn page with craft pom-poms, made a bat out of a paper bag, made a pumpkin tambourine stuffed with pumpkin seeds, and pinned the nose on the jack-o-lantern.  
Luke and I at his preschool Fall Festival
  • Audrey had her own fall festival at school one Friday evening put on by the PTA.  I helped set up and then worked the ticket booth while David walked around and kept an eye on them.  They each got "crazy hair" (Luke's was just spray painted orange) and their faces painted.  The weather was perfect for the event and it felt so quintessentially autumn.  I made sure to be done with my shift in time for us to be home, in pajamas, and watching "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" by 6:30pm because after Jaemor farms, both schools' festivals, and our little town's festival, we were just about festival-ed out.  
AJ getting "Crazy Hair" at her school's Fall Festival
  • Audrey also had a field trip this month that I got to chaperone.  The whole grade went to see "Gracie for President" at the Aurora Children's Theater in Lawrenceville and then had a picnic lunch at the town square.  The play was cute, the kids all enjoyed it and everyone was on their best behavior.  After they ate, her entire class played Duck-Duck-Goose together.  The other classes had split up all over the place and I just thought it was the most precious thing that her class stuck together.  The teacher told me they truly do have a very special group this year.  
My girl and me on her second grade field trip to Aurora Theater
  • Audrey learned to ride her bike!  We took her out to a nearby park for a few concentrated lessons over the course of a couple of months.  She didn't love doing it and let us hear about it, but she stuck with it.  I will never forget letting the seat go (with her knowing) and watching her pedal away with tears in my eyes.  Oh my, what happened to my baby?! She's not a huge fan of it, but we're hoping that changes over time.  We celebrated the big milestone with dinner out and frozen yogurt.
  • For Halloween, Audrey was a black cat and Luke was a lion.  We met up with the Kirkleys and several other families from our small group to go trick-or-treating.  The kids did great, even though it was quite warm (can lions have heat strokes?!)  There were definitely not as many houses participating this year as last, which I think was due to last Halloween falling on a Saturday.  However, in a neighborhood with over 400 homes, there was no shortage of places to go.  We had a lot of fun with our crew and came back to enjoy a few treats.  Even a hefty dose of sugar right before bed was no match for the 1.5 miles their little legs walked and they were out in no time. 
  • Our two cool cats ready for trick-or-treating 
  • Other highlights:  We continued leading small group and had a family picnic night with them at a local park.  We also went on a date night, had a 12Stone Church volunteer vision dinner, I sold quite a few home decor items in a local consignment sale, and we had school spirit night at Chick-fil-A.  Also, I did early voting and my heart broke over our crappy presidential candidate choices, but that's all I'm going to say about that.  Audrey continued her weekly art club and Luke had Pirate Day.  
 Luke's Pirate Day at Preschool

Some of Audrey's artwork from art club

As you can tell, it was a very good month full of some very good things!  I hope yours was a great October as well. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!