SO, What WILL You Be Up To?

Thursday, May 14, 2009

A few days ago I wrote a post about what I'd been up to lately. I thought I'd follow up with one about what I plan on being up to in about 6 weeks.

During the last Baby Prep class we took, the instructor had us complete a worksheet about what a typical day with a newborn is like. Even though I knew the different elements and how often each took place/long each took, I had never added it up. Wow, is it overwhelming!

Feeding: 10 feedings per day x 45 minutes per feeding = 7.5 hours (Seriously?!)

Diapering: 10 changes per day x 5 minutes per change = Approx. 1 hour

Dressing: 5 changes per day x 10 minutes per change = Approx. 1 hour

Holding/Comforting/Playing not included in above activities: 3 hours

Total: 12.5 hours per day!

That's 12.5 hours of active, awake, "doing-something-for-the-baby-have-my-hands-full" time. It does not count laundry, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, or other errand running. It also doesn't include any time for my own personal grooming, eating, working out (eventually), or any other kind of personal/couple time. That is approx. 4 hours longer than a full-time job! I don't know how moms of multiples or moms with a newborn AND a toddler or two do it!

I think a huge part of preparing ourselves for this new chapter is knowing what to expect. That's not to say we can fully comprehend the challenges and adventures that are coming, but at least we can try to wrap our heads around what is going to be involved. Having this knowledge, we can line up support while letting go of lower priority items and commitments so that we're in a better place to manage our new lifestyle.

One of the best parts is that we have so many friends and family that have successfully survived this demanding stage. I know there will be plenty of people to turn to that understand and will listen and empathize! To them and everyone else, though: Just please understand if it takes me a while to return your phone calls and emails! School does start eventually, right?!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!