Thankful Thursday

Thursday, January 27, 2011

1.  My brother Brian, whose birthday was Monday.  I'm so glad he's there to share and relate to the good, the bad, the ugly, and the hilarious parts of parenting, our family, and life in general.  Happy Birthday, B.  I love you.

2.  An amazing date night.  Last Friday, David and I went to see the Blue Man Group with the tickets I gave him for Christmas.  Before the show we had a fancy dinner that included the best Fettucini Alfredo I've ever tasted...and my lips and hips consider me quite the connoisseur.  We had over an hour of glorious, uninterrupted conversation and I was able to enjoy my food while it was still hot instead of cutting up pieces and serving a certain Little One (no, not David).  The show itself was very entertaining and way more comical than I expected it to be.  Afterward we stopped by the Krispy Kreme mothership before driving home amidst the gorgeous downtown buildings and lights.  (Man, I miss the city.)  It was a lovely evening full of new sights and experiences, which are always a breath of fresh air.

3.  The book "Feathers From My Nest" by Beth Moore.  Written a few years ago from her fresh empty-nest perspective, it gave this rookie mom a lot of great ideas and encouragement.  Sometimes in the midst of the daily grind, I lose sight of the big picture.  Thinking about the kind of young woman I want Audrey to become and the kind of relationship I want us to have is important so I can do the million little things along the way that it takes to get there.  (Thanks, KC, for blessing me with this book.  It only took me a year to get to it, but it was well worth the wait!)

4.  The whole house being clean and tidy at once.  This never happens.  Like, never.  It's always either tidy or clean...or neither.  Mostly neither.  But, this week, I just decided that I really needed it to be both so I could spend a few days focusing on some other projects.  We worked our tails off and we know it won't last long, but for the moment, I'm off the hook.

5.  I've decided I'm going to start a new tradition (for now) and post a song I'm currently digging for my #5 TT item.  Years from now, assuming Audrey will actually read this boring ol' stuff, it'll give her a little taste of the pop culture and what I liked.

So, this week is Sara Bareilles' "King of Anything."  Thankfully, I do not think of my dear sweet husband when I hear this.  But, even though he and I were high school sweethearts, there were boyfriends before him.  A few were great.  One or two were...well...not.  (What girl can't identify with knowing a guy like this?!)  I'm sure blessed that I ended up with Prince Charming who lets Someone way more qualified be King.  Enjoy the song!

(Sorry I couldn't find a version without the music video.  I would prefer just to hear the song, but didn't have time to figure out how to do that. I'll try to do better next week!)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!