Thankful Thursday

Thursday, May 26, 2011

First, let me take a moment to say that today is the one year anniversary of my Grandma Gaye's death.  She has missed a lot this past year, but I have a feeling that none of it compares to what she's been doing for the last 365 days.  Nonetheless, she has left a hole in our family and has been on my mind a lot this week.  I hate that Audrey won't remember her, but I cherish the time the two of them had and will continue to tell her stories and show her pictures.  In fact, a favorite photo of her hangs in the hallway and we see it all the time.  I'll ask AJ who it is and without missing a beat, she'll point to it and say, "That's Grandma Gaye.  She's in heaven with Jesus."  Yup.  


In honor of David's 30th birthday tomorrow, the rest of this Thankful Thursday post will be entirely devoted to him.  And, drumroll please....it will contain not five, not ten, but - you guessed it - THIRTY things that I'm thankful for about my sweet husband.  Read on, but keep a trashcan nearby in case you start gagging.  


1.  His love for Jesus.  He exhibits his Christ-likeness to me on a daily basis and when I'm not too busy taking it for granted, it still blows me away.


2.  His patience.  (Have you met me?)


3.  His sense of humor.  And how I can crack him up, whether I mean to or not.     


4.  The way he leaves the downstairs hallway light on if he goes upstairs before I do at night. 


5.  His dimples.  I'm so glad Audrey got them from him.  


6.  How smart he is.  That is one brilliant brain. 


7.  The way he still gets the car door for me.  Well, usually.  If he doesn't it's because he's putting Audrey in her car seat, so that gets a pass.


8.  That he never, ever judges me for how many cookies I can put away.  At least out loud.


9.  How sexy he looks after he plays golf.


10.  Our unspoken language.  If we see something or someone worth commenting on, half the time we don't even have to because we already know what the other is thinking.  Sometimes we can't even look at each other for fear of busting out laughing at what the other is thinking.  


11.  His taste in music.  Most of it, anyway.


12.  How hard he works to provide for our family.  His work ethic and dedication are unbelievable.  


13.  That finally, after so many years together, he accepts that I have to take a million pictures on vacation, at special events, and even just because the mood strikes me.  He now complies without complaint.    


14.  His mad skills at playing tea party and Little People house.


15.  That he knows when to let me be a "strong, independent woman" and when not to.  Like in the middle of the Puerto Rico store when I said we should split up and look for umbrellas.  That didn't fly...and that was okay.  


16.  How awful his memory is, because I'm hoping it means he needs my good one.  I've always told him that all he really needs to remember is that he's married to me and I'll cover the rest.  He knows that should he forget that, however, the strong, independent woman mentioned above will help him remember.  


17.  His voice.  I've thought it sexy ever since our marathon phone conversations when we were dating.


18.  How he can explain things to me without being patronizing and condescending.  And how he knows when not to explain things to me.  (Not everyone cares how things work like an engineer does.)


19.  That he never, not ever, brings up past arguments, mistakes, or wrongdoings.  Ever.


20.  His ability to fix anything with a cord and most things without.  


21.  The sweet way he sings lullabies to Audrey.


22.  How he looks when he's wearing his glasses.  Hot-tie.


23.  How much he misses us when he travels.  Some men probably look forward to those breaks from their families, but I know he truly hates it and would rather be home than anywhere on Earth.


24.  That he doesn't care if/when/what I cook.  He eats it, thanks me, and most of the time, really means it.  


25.  His family.  Sure, he didn't have a lot to do with this one, but I'm grateful I married into it nonetheless.


26.  How he talks to and about our daughter, like she's the most important person on the planet. 


27.  That even though we both know he's going to fall asleep twenty minutes in, he still carries on the charade of watching golf most Sunday afternoons.   


28.  How he's never in a hurry, be it in a conversation or a kiss.  (Great quote I read somewhere.)


29.  That even after 11 years together, each evening he asks me how my day was...and actually listens to my response.  


30.  That he chose me.  


When I first thought about writing this list, I must admit I wondered how long it would take.  Not because there weren't a million things about him I was grateful for, but just because sometimes it's hard to come up with things on the spot.  Turns out this was one of the fastest posts I've written.  I even had to leave off a number of things that came to mind so I could keep the number at thirty!  He is hands down the most amazing husband, father, and best friend I could ever ask for.  No, he's not perfect, but he's perfect for me.  And I'm super thankful for him.  


I love you, babe.  I can't wait to see how God shapes you, and us, in your next thirty years. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!