Thankful Thursday

Thursday, December 6, 2012

I have one thing on my TT list today:  No, we did not close on our houses yet and yes, we are still awaiting final loan approval for our buyers.  But what I am thankful for this week is perspective.  On the house situation and so much more.  Read on...

I hung up the phone with a family member today who had just shared some scary health news with me.  My mind was reeling as I rushed into Target with Luke.  Stomach growling, I decided to grab a soft pretzel for lunch and chow down while I shopped.  I waited in line for almost five minutes only to be told they were out of them.  I sighed and headed to the Starbucks counter to order a decaf caramel machiatto instead.  In front of me, a lady who had clearly never ordered at a Starbucks before nervously stumbled through her request, ended up overpaying, and then held everyone up getting a 21 cent refund.  "Seriously?" I thought to myself.  "This is ridiculous.  I get scary news, I know the loan isn't going to come through today, I can't even drown my sorrows in a pretzel, and now I'm behind the only person in the world who has never ordered at Starbucks.  On top of all that, I'm not going to be able to finish my to-do list before I have to pick up Audrey at school."  I finally stepped up to order and then tapped my fingers impatiently and talked to Luke.  I turned around and noticed two men approaching, one older gentlemen who was blind and a younger man holding his arm and helping him along.  They took their place in the line behind me and I heard the younger one quietly list off the baked goods and snacks that were in the Starbucks counter cabinet.  "There is pumpkin bread, and ginger bread, and a frosted snowman cookie..."  The older man chuckled at the thought of himself eating a frosted snowman cookie and then asked, "Are there any coconut macaroons?"  "No," the younger man answered.  "I don't see any of those," he said before continuing to go through the selection.  Suddenly he caught Luke's eye, smiled, and said hello to him.  He whispered to the older man, "There's a cute baby in front of us."  "Aw!  How old is he?"  I spoke up and told him he was almost ten months and that he was just learning how to wave.  The older man said, "How sweet!" and the younger man went on to describe Luke's blond hair and bright blue eyes.  "He's so cute," he told the older man.  "He sounds like it!  He's going to be real heartbreaker," the blind man said with a smile.  I agreed before turning away, grabbing my drink, and rushing off before they could see the tears spill over.  I thanked God for the precious baby in front of me, the one that I'd be picking up shortly, and the joy of being able to SEE their sweet faces every day.  

It was a perspective check, to say the least.  Sure, I'm still stressed and overwhelmed and down about the house stuff, but we have each other and we have our health and we have a Savior who loves us and is working for our good.  Tonight I'm going to bed grateful for that.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!