June 2014 Recap

Monday, July 14, 2014

Here we are again halfway into the next month when I realize I haven't recapped the previous one!  I want to get caught up before our upcoming vacation so that maybe I'll have time to write something other than an update while we're away.  

June was a great start to summer.  We returned from our anniversary trip feeling really refreshed and I had a renewed energy to take on the next 10 weeks.  Of course, it also helped that I got to ease into it a little more while Audrey had a week of Vacation Bible School.  She was very nervous about it the first day, but when we pulled into the parking lot and saw bouncy houses I think the uneasiness disappeared.  She had a blast and learned a lot through the "Secret Agent D3" curriculum.  Luke wasn't old enough to go, but I still made sure he had a fun few days by swapping play dates with his buddy Patrick and giving him some one-on-one time with his Grandmom.  

Audrey began once-a-week gymnastics that first week as well.  I wanted something very low-key for the summer and didn't want to spend a lot of money, so when I stumbled on a Groupon for a gymnastics place that a friend recommended, I jumped on it.  Again, she was very nervous to give it a try, but bounced and jumped around excitedly every second of the class that she wasn't doing something, so I think it was another hit.  

We headed to Alabama the first weekend and celebrated Audrey's birthday early as well as two of her second cousins' birthdays and Father's Day.  The next day after church, David and I snuck in a lunch date before attending a couples' shower for friends of ours that are getting married in August.  

The second week consisted of my swim lessons, hosting a cookout for one of David's new coworkers and his family that will be moving into our neighborhood this summer, and having a neighbor over for a play date.  Party planning and house prep kicked into high gear, especially over the second weekend when the kids spent a night at David's parents' house.  While they were away, David installed a custom wench system (see album for pics) for a new chandelier, which was an awesome feat.  We also replaced the front door knobs, laid about a dozen bails of pine straw, trimmed bushes, and did some serious tree trimming in the back yard.   We did get a chance to relax after all that work, though, when we took a nice boat ride at his parents'.  Luke was apprehensive and had a hard time getting used to it.  I wondered if he has his mother's uneasy stomach.  He finally calmed down and we sat at the dock and ate a picnic on the boat.  That and splashing his feet off the back were his favorite parts.  We ended that weekend celebrating the best Daddy in the world on Father's Day, mostly by showering him with all of his favorite foods.  Afterall, the way to a man's heart and all that...

Week three started off with a couple of play dates:  one at our house with my friend Lauren and her two littles and then one in Greenville where we met Kara and her three at the children's museum there.  Wednesday and Thursday of that week were party/house prep and I wrote about the details of the big birthday on Friday and party on Saturday here.

That Sunday, David left for business trip to DC.  Audrey had swim lessons that week, which kept us busy during the mornings as nearly every day we would go down and splash around in the kiddie pool, have her lesson, eat a picnic lunch, and then play in the big pool.  She did great with lessons and one of the most impressive parts was her overcoming her fear of the big water slide.  Last year she barely managed to do it once with her coach.  This year, she conquered her fear and would walk up the tall tower of steps, slide down, and swim to the ladder (while I was in the splash pool at the bottom just in case) all by herself.  I have a feeling that that slide is going to be one of those things that 20+ years from now she'll look back and wonder who shrank it.  It's not a rinkie-dink size to begin with, but to a five year old I imagine it looks enormous!  

The rest of the week went pretty well.  We had a play date at the mall one evening with friends and then gymnastics on Thursday.  David was able to finish up his work trip a day earlier than expected, so he actually surprised the kids when they woke up Friday morning.  He took the whole day off and went to AJ's swim lesson with us.  That evening, we ate dinner at Chick-fil-A and then headed to a Gwinnett Braves game.  The kids had a blast running around in the general admission lawn area...probably more so than watching the actual game.  No matter, because it was a gorgeous weather night and we had a great time.  The next morning I went out for a run and a bike ride, then came home and we all went for a hike and a picnic near the river.  Sunday was church and a little work around the house.  We made homemade pizzas for dinner and had a pajama pizza picnic (we get in pjs and the kids watch a movie while eating pizza on a big tablecloth I spread out in front of the TV.)  It was such a good, fun family weekend full of a lot of quintessential summer-time things.  

We ended the month with a play date and picnic at the park with friends we hadn't seen in awhile and then began resting and gearing up for the 4th of July festivities that were approaching, but more on those next month.

To update on the kids specifically, they are doing so well.  The older they are, the easier it gets to do fun family things like Braves games and hikes with picnics.  Of course, the sibling rivalry and fights also increase as can the attitude, but it's still a lot easier being out of the "survival stage" of infancy and young toddlerhood.

Audrey is still my little bookworm and Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew are her absolute favorites (it's a mystery series by the same author as the regular Nancy Drew, but written for a younger audience.)  I like to read them with her the first time through and make sure they are appropriate (i.e. not too much name calling or valley girl-speak) and then she rereads ones we've already read at her daily rest time.  She still loves making up songs, has had a blast at gymnastics, and is becoming more and more skilled and detailed with her artwork and coloring.  She is 100% used to her glasses now.  She is often the one to remind me of bringing her case along, when to clean them, etc.  It took me a lot less time to get used to seeing her in them than I thought it would.  Now it seems strange to see her with them off. 

Luke is doing really well, too.  To answer your question:  No, we have not begun potty training and aren't sure when we will.  He doesn't "have" to be until September 2015 when he'll start three year preschool, so we're in no rush.  Especially after the scarring ordeal we went through training Audrey.  You're welcome to come do it for us any time you're ready...I'll pay big money!  In other areas, he's doing great.  His vocabulary is amazing and he cracks me up daily with new words and phrases.  He is definitely into his questioning phase and wants to know "'cuz why?" for everything.  Usually I attempt to explain my reasoning if I can. The other day, however, I was several layers deep into an answer and struggling to find words he could comprehend. He finally looked up at me, tilted his head to one side, and with an understanding nod said, "Cuz you said so, Mommy?" Exactly. 

At the beginning of the month we switched the big boy over to his toddler bed.  He has done amazingly well and not snuck out of it a single time since we made the transition!  He  is also reaching small but noticeable milestones:  eating cereal without dumping all the milk off the spoon into his lap (mostly), handling most restaurant meals without a bib, having so much hair that we have to blow dry it after bath, opening and closing doors with ease, following multi-step directions, reaching most light switches...those kinds of uncelebrated achievements and signs that signal the end of toddlerhood and the start of childhood.  No, that sounds too old and makes my heart hurt.  We'll say the start of preschoolerhood.  Yes, it's a thing.    

Funny quotes from this month:

- Last month, I wrote about Luke doing his encouraging "Go runner, go!" cheer when we pass joggers while we're driving.  Well come to find out on a recent hike, he also enjoys doing it in person. Loudly.  Without shame.  Oh well, it made her (and me) smile! 

- Speaking of exercise, I told Audrey one day that I was going to do a work out video.  Her reply?  "Good."  "Good?!" I asked. "Why 'good'?"  "Because, Mommy," she said, "I like doing them with you...and you haven't exercised in awhile."  Ouch. 

- When talking about body parts, Luke uses slightly off names for them that are still somewhat applicable but just not quite right.  For instance, he'll exclaim, "I can't see it with my FACE!" or "Cuz why you putting sunscreen on my brain?" (i.e. forehead)  or "Do you see that with your eyeballs, Mommy?"  I find it adorably cute. 

-  The boy also has very little sense of privacy. He opened the door to the bathroom the other day while I was...ahem...using it.  I said, "Luke, can you please close the door?  Mommy would like some privacy."  "Sure!" he said.  Then he promptly stepped inside and closed the door behind him.  

 - I have no idea where he got this, but Luke accidentally fell flat on his face the other day, jumped up, and exclaimed, "That was magic trick."  No, son.  That is called "male ego."

- I've started doing time lessons with Audrey, which I've learned can backfire.  She can mainly only do hours and halves on an analog clock, but there have already been a couple of instances where questions arise.  For example, we put the kids to bed a little early one night and she called us back in there and said, "Why is it so light out?  And how come my clock doesn't say 8:30 yet?"  Hmmm....

And with that, it's past time for me to wrap this up.  It's been a great June and we're excited about all that July...and AJ's final pre-kindergarten month...have in store!  Check out pictures in the gallery here.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!