Audrey's 5th Birthday & Party

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A few weeks ago we celebrated our big girl turning five.  On Friday morning, her actual birthday, we woke her up singing Happy Birthday and giving her five kisses.  We all sat down together for a chocolate chip pancake breakfast and gushed over how big she was. After we ate, we surprised her with a new bike, complete with training wheels, streamers on the handlebars, and a baby seat in the back for her to take along her favorite doll.  She was ecstatic...well, after my little rule-follower got over her meltdown about her old helmet no longer fitting ("but the bike SAYS I have to wear a helmet!") Luke was so happy for her, too, which was almost as cool to see as her reaction.  

David went in to work for a few hours and Luke, Audrey, and I headed to a local park to let her practice on her new ride (by way of Walmart for a new helmet, of course.)  She rode back and forth, not caring about the excruciating heat.  She would stop from time to time to open her little zippered handlebar bag and take a sip of her water.  I watched her maneuver and steer like a pro and teared up from the shade where Luke and I were hiding out.  When did this happen?  How could she be FIVE on a BIKE?  I thought back to that day on 2009 in a hospital room at 7:29pm and how my life has changed since that moment.  Her little hand waved at me and I remembered her tiny fingers curling around mine when she was a baby.  It seemed like both a blink and a lifetime ago at the same time.  The fear of the kids dehydrating interrupted my reflection and I moved all of us back to the van to change the kids into their bathing suits for the fountains.  

Audrey splashed and played and Luke stood around and mostly whined for about 45 minutes before we packed it in and went home for lunch.  I put Luke down for a nap and Audrey down for a rest and worked on party stuff until my brother and my niece arrived from out of town.  The girls played while my brother and I visited until Luke woke up.  David came home and cut the grass, I decorated some more, and then we all went out to Steak and Shake (the birthday girl's choice) for dinner.  When we got home, we put a candle in a little miniature cupcake for Audrey and sang to her before piling all three kids on the couch for bedtime stories.  It was a great day filled with a lot of fun.  We tucked the kids in and headed to bed to rest up (okay, finish up a balloon wreath) for the big party the next day. 

On Saturday morning, we rushed around getting everything ready for Audrey's party.  Her theme this year was "Arts and Crafts" and I had several stations of activities to prepare for the kids on top of the usual decor.  At least I wizened up this year and outsourced the food to our favorite local pizza spot. (I did, however, talk them into making three artist pallete-shaped pizzas for the kids.  They turned out so well!)  

Guests began to arrive a few minutes before 10am, and I ushered the littles downstairs to get started on their crafts.  They grabbed their initial-monogrammed apron (iron-on because I do not sew) and dove right in.  I think the girls could've stayed there forever, but at noon I made everyone break for lunch.  We ate then did cake.  Audrey giggled and grinned while everyone sang to her and then attempted to blow out her candles as I held her over the island.  (I imagine next year I won't be picking up a six year old to do that.)  The kids decorated their cupcakes and the adults enjoyed the delicious artist palette-shape cake masterpiece that my SIL made.  

When everyone had finished dessert, we moved into the family room and Audrey opened her presents.  I put her in a chair so as to fend off so many "helpers" and she graciously opened each card and read it then opened the gift.  She got a bunch of little craft-themed items, a lot of books, a necklace, a sleeping bag, and some money/gift card.  She oohed and aahed over all of it and did a pretty good job of audibly saying thank you to each guest. 

After gifts, she and most of her friends went back down to the patio to make some jewelry.  I remembered toward the end of the party that I hadn't taken many posed pictures, so that meant grabbing tired kids and attempting to force smiles as everyone was trying to leave.  Oh well...I'll try to remember earlier next year.  

The party was a huge success, but not because of the decorations and the activities.  The kids, especially Audrey, had a blast and told me it was "awesome" and "rocking", which I count as my highest compliments of the day.  I've done and enjoyed party planning long before Pinterest was even a thing, so I don't like people to think I do it for show or to outdo other moms.  I do it because one day I want my kids to look back and remember, "Yeah, mom wasn't the best cook.  She didn't sew our clothes or build us a treehouse or grow a garden, but man she threw us some kick-butt birthday parties!"  Of course, I realize by having this dream that I'm probably setting myself up for the complete opposite to be true, but I can hope they'll remember and appreciate the work I put into their big day for them.  

Here are the other event details of the party:

Colors:  Hot pink and granny smith apple green (same as her first birthday) with chevron details

Centerpieces:  Handmade crayon flowers in a plastic paint bucket with balloons tied to the handle

Other Decor:  Two birthday banners, various ceramic paint cans, a homemade balloon wreath, an art easel with a handwritten welcome from the birthday girl, a beautiful gallery displaying Audrey's finest works of art, a colorful bouquet of flowers, green paper lanterns hanging from the deck, paint cans pouring paint (clear cans with colored tablecloths hanging out) hanging in the foyer, tiny paint-splattered canvas signs on tiny easels.  

Audrey's outfit:  A pink tutu and a custom-embroidered white tee with a "5", "Audrey", and a painter's palette on it.  

Food:  Artist palette pizza, chips, cupcakes, and a gorgeous homemade artist palette cake with a detailed paintbrush on top by my sister-in-law Jenny.  

Activities:  Painting taped-off initials on canvases, coloring t-shirts or aprons with fabric markers, making jewelry, and decorating cupcakes.

Favors:  A painter's palette with paint and a Rice Krispie Treat "paintbrush" dipped in pink or green "paint" (colored chocolate) with their canvases and aprons, of course.

Happy 5th Birthday, Audrey!  I cannot believe you are five and I cannot believe God saw fit to entrust you to us.  You are so smart, funny, and beautiful.  May you always trust Jesus as much as you do now, love your brother as fiercely as you do now, and have as big of a hunger to learn and create as you do now.  You are amazing & we love you!


Click here for Birthday and Party Pictures

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!