March 2015 Recap

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Well, this month started with an endoscopy and ended with a kindergarten spring musical.  If that doesn't just sum up the emotion of the whole month, I don't know what does. 

Of course, if I was content with leaving it at that, I wouldn't have a blog.  Here's the scoop in more detail:

Celiac Update:  Audrey is doing amazingly well with all of the diet changes.  She even handled her first birthday party experiences with her own cupcake in tow and did fine.  I am doing pretty good with the shift in shopping/cooking.  The first few weeks I just attempted to adjust our usual recipes and now I'm branching out and trying new things.  

Using Pinterest and Whole Foods as resources overwhelmed me and I steered clear for awhile, but I've tackled both now.  (And, may I just say, I felt like a complete foreigner walking into Whole Foods.  A lot of my judgmental stereotypes held strong as I walked around feeling completely out of place without my yoga pants on or my face makeup-free or my hair in a messy bun.  And is it necessary to have that weird-smelling essential oil diffuser pumping throughout the store?  It may help improve my brain function, but it stinks!  To my credit, I've come a long way with this health-shift, but, alas, I have a ways to go...)  

Anyway, some recipes are hits, some are not, but as I told David, she didn't love everything we ate for dinner pre-Celiac diagnosis, so it's not a requirement that she do so now.  We've found great cereals, pastas, crackers, and sandwich bread, but tasty bagels, hamburger/hotdog buns, and waffles still allude us.  There are more brands out there to try, though, so we haven't given up the quest yet.    

I met with a nutritionist and got another level of education.  Like anything else, when I think too far out, I get overwhelmed.  The "she'll have to do this f-o-r-e-v-e-r" thought makes me tear up every time.  I just try to handle one week of meal planning at a time and, eventually, those will add up to months of this way of life and it will be her/our new normal.  I keep reminding myself that it really is a healthier diet.  It's going to prevent her from going to college because of the cost, but it's healthier.  

Potty Training Update:  Luke has been clearing his own hurdles like a champ.  In addition to tackling the food changes with the rest of us, he's been conquering the potty.  In a completely unexpected turn of events, he took about four days to become officially potty trained.  On the second Saturday of the month, we began the "bootcamp" method, put him in underwear, and stayed home for about 5-6 days in a row to hit it hard.  He had approximately five or six accidents the first two days, but by the end of day three, the worst was over.  We have to take it to another level and make him go completely on his own on a big potty (we help him with his pants and he uses a small kid one right now), but we have until September to get there, so I'm hopeful.  He's done such an amazing job and I'm so grateful it wasn't a battle this go-round.  Let that be a lesson to you first-time mamas:  When the timing is right, it's right.  DO NOT FORCE IT.  They'll be ready when they're ready and not a second before.  David said he was talking to a friend at work who has one 18 month old and raised his eyebrows in surprise when David said we were just now potty training Luke.  Yeah, I knew a lot about parenting when I had one 18 month old, too.  

Other News (because, amazingly, life still goes on in the midst of bowel changes):

  • David and I had our health screenings for insurance and, though my weight is still higher than I'd like, the rest of my numbers looked really good.  And not that I would ever turn it into a competition, but I creamed D on, well, everything.  Which would be more satisfying if the stakes weren't so high.  I mean, what's the "prize" here?  I outlast him?  NOT an option.  So instead, I just signed us both up for a 10K and use it as an excuse to nag him about running.  
  • We had Teacher Appreciation Week, which I wrote about here.  
  • We had my niece's birthday party at a pottery painting place in Cobb.  It was so nice to get to celebrate with her since they live in Savannah and usually do a party down there.  
  • Audrey rode her first horse while at a friend's birthday party.  I was so proud of her for being brave and giving it a try.  She was super nervous, but she went for it anyway - twice, actually!  It was also great when Luke decided to throw a stick at the ground because he was made at Audrey and it narrowly missed one of the mom's feet.  Yes son, make sure a bunch of parents I barely know are gathered around when you decide to act like a three year old boy, please.
  • Audrey had a spring musical at her school and it was darling.  The kindergarten classes stood on risers in the school cafeteria and sang about 7 or 8 songs.  As usual, she was very nervous about it, but got up there and sang every word.  (She didn't, however, do most of the motions.  When I asked her about it she said, "I was doing well with the words and just really didn't want to add anything else."  I hear ya, sister.  Know your limits.)  When we finally made our way to her in the crowded hall afterward, she jumped up into my arms and squeezed my neck as hard as she could.  Oh, that level of being loved...and that lack of embarrassment about needing your mama.  Precious.  We celebrated her spring debut with dinner and dessert at Chick-fil-A.  

We had a couple of other play dates and such, but nothing too exciting.  This month was mostly about adjusting to change - new diets, new skills, and new weather - and I'm really proud of my people and how they're doing!  

Maybe one day I'll get caught up on the Picasa albums, but until then, you can view the March photos here, even if you don't have a FB account.  

Hope your April is off to a good start!  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!