Thankful Thursday

Thursday, October 21, 2010

What a day!  This afternoon was a rough few hours sandwiched on either side with some really fun times.  Let me start at the beginning.

Audrey and I had a great morning and got a lot done, including plenty of playtime.  After she took her morning nap and ate lunch, we went to the doctor for her second flu shot (the first time babies get it they have to have two) and her MMR (we'd held off on it because we were traveling to Baltimore and didn't want her running a fever).  She started crying the moment we walked in the door and clung to me for dear life.  So, apparently, she's familiar with the doctor's office now.

Once we were back in a room, she sat there with her head on my shoulder and said "Peas, peas, peas" as in "Please get me out of here, Mommy!"  Since she's had a cold, I wanted the nurse practitioner to take a look at her and make sure it was okay to give her the shots.  She came in and checked her out (with AJ crying the whole time) and said her ears and lungs were clear.  She told me it could just be a virus or it could be...drumroll, please...teething.  She said her nephew had a snotty nose for three months straight while he was her age because of those darn molars!  Anyway, we got the green light for her shots, got them, and got out of there.  Once she'd stopped crying and was buckled in her car seat she kept saying "Yay!"  I don't think that was a coincidence.

She seemed good so I thought we'd run over to Hobby Lobby for a minute.  We were walking the aisles, enjoying ourselves, when I looked back at her and noticed the floor was wet where she was standing.  I walked over and felt her legs.  Yup.  Her size 4 Huggies were filled to the brim and couldn't contain her waterfall output.  I grabbed her, threw a couple of tissues from my purse on top of the (minor) spill and rushed out, dumping my carefully selected purchases on a nearby shelf.  No, I didn't stop to find an employee.  Yes, I'm pretty sure we're banned for life.

After a parking lot diaper change, we drove home.  I unloaded her, cleaned both of us up, and set her down to play.  I was on the phone comparing rough day notes with my sister-in-law when I walked around the corner and found red crayon scribblings on the wall.  Our first masterpiece.  (Forgive me if I seem less than proud.)  I got off the phone, put Audrey in her usual post-doctor's-office bath, and then laid her down for a nap.  

Though I debated taking a nap myself, especially since David was taking customers out and wouldn't be home before 9 or 10pm, I decided to be productive and, after cleaning up the wall, worked on a few things around the house.  Audrey took an incredible nap and when she woke up, she was in a great mood.  

I fed her snack and we took off to JoAnn's to finish what I'd started in the afternoon.  (I just couldn't bear to go back to Hobby Lobby so soon.)  After making sure her diaper was completely empty and dry, we stopped by the pet store next door first.  We took our time walking around the fish tanks and bird cages.  She squealed with delight at the guinea pigs and mice (eww! NO WAY!) and we talked to the birds for awhile before heading over to JoAnn's.  We spent a long time in there and she had a blast walking up and down the aisles and pointing out colors (that's her latest thing).  We checked out and left (without incident) to go have Chick-fil-A for dinner.  Though I got her grilled nuggets and fruit cup, I did trade her toy in for a small ice cream and let her have a few spoonfuls despite the looks I swear I was getting from other parents.  Oh well.  Moderation and choices, right?!

We came home and played (not with crayons, though) before I got her ready for bed.  We read books and said prayers and she let me rock her and sing a little longer than usual before I tucked her in.  What an awesome night with my sweet girl.  Totally makes up for pee-pee in the aisle and red crayon on the wall.  

So now, as I wait to hear the garage door go up and signal that it's time for snuggling, Grey's Anatomy, and Oreos, here is this week's list...

1.  Christmas plans already being made for celebration schedules, gifts arrangements, and present ideas/projects.  Two of my favorite things:  Preplanning and Christmas.  Yay!

2.  Colors.  As I said, Audrey has really been into learning and naming them lately (purple is my favorite to hear her say.)  It has reopened my eyes to all of the beautiful colors God has painted all around us, especially this time of year.  

3.  Dinner with a sweet friend.  We usually meet for play dates with our girls, so to have a whole 90 minutes of uninterrupted conversation was wonderful!  Granted, a lot of the conversation was about them, but still...

4.  Grandmothers. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating - they're just that awesome.  Whether stepping in and keeping AJ so I can go to the grocery store alone or giving me a night off for the aforementioned dinner with a friend, they are always willing to help out.  Audrey (and David and I) really love and appreciate them!

5.  The garage door opening...goodnight!  :)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!