Thankful Thursday

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Well, I thought this week would be less crazy, but it didn't shaped up that way.  I posted the following status update on Facebook on Monday:  "The house is clean and decorated inside 
and out, cards are mailed, all shopping is finished (for all 40 people), and except for the last 
two gifts that should be delivered soon, it is all wrapped. They really should bottle up pregnancy hormones and sell them. Now it's time for the real fun to begin: Parties and   
celebrations, baking, watching Christmas movies, etc...YAY! Work hard, play hard!"


Then, Tuesday hit.  It was a whirlwind of grocery shopping, baking for David's work luncheon (complete with two desserts because I ruined the first) and my ladies' Bible study brunch, shopping for birthdays, making returns, printing pictures, etc.  In the middle of all of it, one Bible verse kept popping into my head, "Pride comes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall."  That'll teach me to be boastful about how together I have it!  Thankfully this weekend looks to hold some real family chill time, though I'm certainly not going to be bragging about it if it turns out that way.


Here is this week's list:


1.  A wonderful ladies' small group.  We had our end-of-semester celebration yesterday and I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to help lead these women for the last twelve weeks.  Getting into God's Word always proves fruitful, but doing it with such a great group of encouraging and godly women is a true blessing.  My Wednesdays won't be the same until we meet again in February!


2.  Getting to organize the nursery a little bit. I'd been looking forward to it for a long time (uh, since the pregnancy test turned positive!), and finally got to break out my label maker and get to work this week.  Serious. FUN.      


3.  Crock pot meals.  There is such a moment of joy when I walk downstairs after getting Audrey up from nap and, instead of feeling panic about what on earth to make for dinner or dread doing it, I realize it's already done.  The only thing better is leftover night.  


4.  A great trip to see Santa.  David met Audrey and me at the mall today for Audrey's visit and then we went to lunch afterward.  She was apprehensive and shy about seeing him, but didn't cry.  She just kept nodding at his questions, including when he asked "Don't you look gorgeous?"  Biased as I am, I must admit she did.  She told him she wanted "some treats" and then sorta smiled for a few pictures before she got a sucker.  It was totally worthwhile.  (And, lest I forget to post my thoughts about it later:  Yes, we are "doing" Santa Claus in our house.  We keep it pretty low-key and instead make sure our main focus is on teaching her about the real Meaning of the holiday.  No, I don't think it'll ruin her later, give her trust issues, or make her doubt the existence of Jesus Christ.  When kept in perspective, it's magical, fun, develops the imagination, and lets kids be kids for the short time they get to these days.  And to those whose main argument against it is that it requires you lie to your kids, check and see if that task doesn't happen before noon on most days about some issue.  K...rant over.)


5.  This week's Christmas song was difficult to choose.  I think everyone has that one treasured Christmas album that they grew up listening to.  In our house it was "Alabama Christmas" by Alabama.  I cherish every single on it, including "Thistlehair the Christmas Bear." (Nope, not kidding.)  When my brother sent me a picture of his reindeer out in the yard, it was settled about which song from the album would make it on the blog this week.  Forgive the video message from a random YouTube poster, enjoy the cheesy song, and have a taste of my childhood:







Be sure to check out the two new posts below and the gallery for Thanksgiving pictures!

2 comments:

  1. I hear what you're saying about Santa, but.... the anagram of Santa is SATAN!!!! You can't wiggle out of that one, Heather Sinyard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right you are, Maryalice. Right you are.

    ReplyDelete