Thankful Thursday

Thursday, December 1, 2011

What a week.  I wish I had the energy to write about it, but my pregnancy insomnia robbed me of another good night's sleep last night, so I'm going to quickly post my list and hope I'll be able to update more later.  I know I'm overdue for a Thanksgiving post, too.  Maybe this weekend will present some time to catch up!  I've been dying to sit down and write about all the things going on with us lately!

This week's list:

1.  The most wonderful time of year.  It's finally here.  YES.

2.  Hot showers.  Our hot water heater went out last Saturday and, two frigid showers and $800 later, was replaced on Monday.  There are a lot of luxuries we could do without...hot water ain't one of 'em.  Be sure to come over and see where your Christmas gift money went, y'all.  It's a real beaut.

3.  Friends.  Friends who keep you and your kid company while the hot water heater replacement takes much longer than expected, even going out to get you lunch because you've run out of Thanksgiving leftovers.  (Thanks KE!)  Friends who drop by with beautiful Christmas ribbon because two years ago you admired theirs and they haven't stopped hunting for just the perfect kind for you since then.  (Thanks AP!)  Friends who laugh and lament with you.  (Thanks EG!)  Friends who pray for you, with true caring hearts and without judgment. (Thanks LS!)  I am truly blessed.

4.  A new service opportunity.  I've started volunteering with a ministry called Nothing but the Truth.  They do a lot of different things in the community, one of which is to assemble weekend food bags for kids in several local elementary schools.  These kids are in dire latch-key situations, many with little or no supervision for various reasons.  They receive at least one hot free meal while school is in session, but many go hungry on the weekends and during breaks due to finances or neglect or both.  This ministry collects food, puts together the bags, and delivers them to the schools for the counselors to hand out to the kids on Fridays.  Since they began in January, they have committed to serve 45 kids in three different schools, but are hoping (and needing!) to expand quickly.  I am excited about helping out and will be posting more info soon about how you can get involved and/or make donations if you're interested.

5.  I'll be posting a few of my favorite Christmas songs here this month, beginning with Amy Grant's "Breath of Heaven".  Beautiful lyrics.


  
Last but certainly not least, please be in prayer for my brother, who was in a car accident today.  He is sore, the car is totaled.  Ask God to provide complete healing for him and a replacement vehicle quickly. This is the one that just had our nephew James, so they have quite a lot on their plates already.  Thank you!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!