Thankful Thursday and an Update

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Well, just as I suspected, things are getting a bit tougher around here.  We're in that in-between stage where Luke is coming out of the newborn sleep-all-the-time fog, but isn't yet into a good, predictable nap schedule yet.  And he's certainly not of the age where he is content to lie on a blanket and stare around the room or at a toy.  If he's awake, he has to be held or he cries.  Obviously that is not always feasible.  


I had a friend over the other day who was baffled that I let him lie there and cry for 60 seconds while I washed my hands after a diaper change.  "Oh honey," I thought to myself,  "You don't know the start of it.  He screamed bloody murder for nearly 15 minutes this morning while I unloaded groceries, took Audrey to the potty, and threw some laundry in."  Instead I just smiled and said, "You're welcome to go pick him up."  She does not yet have children, in case that needed to be stated.  I've been using the Bjorn a lot more and a friend loaned us a moby wrap, but honestly, sometimes the second kid just has to lie there and cry.  I'm betting he's already surpassed the amount of tears Audrey shed in her first three months total.  


To top it off, I don't think his reflux meds are working.  More than that, I honestly don't think he has reflux.  I think I have what is termed overactive milk ejection reflex in addition to an oversupply of milk.  It's can cause the same symptoms - choking, spitting up, gassiness, fussiness - on top of rapid weight gain.  (Three pounds in three weeks would definitely be classified as rapid to me.)  While there are things you can do, ultimately it just takes time for supply and demand to level out and the baby to get things under control when eating.  We're going to keep him on his medication for now, but as long as he's gaining okay at his next check-up in a few weeks, I think we'll take him off.  Just please continue to pray for wisdom in that area.


Other than that, we have just been busy, busy, busy.  This week has been full of visitors, Easter celebrations, and party planning.  With a bridal shower, two weddings, vacation, and multiple birthdays/parties, the next several months are going to be even crazier and go by just as fast.  That's on top of the usual Bible Study, small group, doctor's appointments, play dates, etc.  AND, because we decided a shred of sanity remaining was just too much, we're having a realtor come out tomorrow to revisit the issue of listing our house.  I'll update you as soon as we know whether it's a go or not, but please pray for wisdom in that area as well.  Goodness, we need a lot of wisdom.  Some sleep to go with it would certainly help our brains as well!


Here is this week's list:


1.  A great stretch of sleep!  On Tuesday night, Luke hit a record of five and half hours in between feedings.  I went to sleep at 9:30 and he woke up at 2:15, so I got four hours and 45 minutes of consecutive sleep for the first time in six weeks.  Granted, he went right back to eating every three hours the next night, but still.  As soon as he's down to two nighttime feedings for a week straight, he's moving into his room.  Fingers crossed it'll happen before he's weaned.


2.  Meals.  I know I mentioned it before, but it's worth repeating.  This has been our first week since Luke was born that we haven't had meals provided for us.  For five weeks, we had a steady stream of 3-4 meals delivered to our door by the sweetest friends and family anyone could ask for.  And in addition to that, I still haven't had to cook yet because several of those dear ones brought frozen back-up meals as well.  I suspect we won't have to fend for ourselves for another week and a half.  I cannot express what a huge, huge help and blessing that has been.  I told David as we fell into bed after our typical nighttime marathon routine that I feel 100% spent with all we have going on and I haven't even had to plan, shop for, or cook meals in over a month.  It makes me extremely nervous about having to put that responsibility back on my plate (pun intended.)  Hot dogs and mac and cheese will likely become staples around here for a couple of weeks.


3.  Flowers - in my front yard that my sweet husband planted and on my kitchen table that I just couldn't turn down at the grocery store today.  Gorgeous reminders of springtime.  
    
4.  Cookouts and the weather and friends to go with them.  We had a great time, KT!  Thanks again for hosting us!    


5.  A Savior who, even though I don't always do a good job of living for him, thought me worth dying for.  


Happy Easter, y'all!    

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!