Thankful Thursday

Thursday, July 30, 2009

What a week! David went out of town on business Tuesday night until this afternoon, so Audrey and I have had to make a go of it on our own. We missed him like crazy, but we managed.

On Monday, Audrey and I went up to my old job/our church to show her off. Everyone "oohed" and "aahed" appropriately and she had quite the crowd gathered around at one point. Of course, she slept through all of the excitement. When we got home, she ate, "played", and then took a really long nap while I finally got the birth announcements addressed, stamped, and in the mail. Any longer and I would have had to include them with the invitations for her 1st Birthday Party.

On Tuesday, David's parents and grandparents came over for a visit. David came home and joined them on his lunch hour so he could have one more AJ fix before he left town. In the afternoon we received our final meal from two of our sweet Life Group members. What a huge, delicious help that has been! That evening, she and I ran a couple of errands just to get out of the house for a little bit. Nights can be oh-so-long when you're handling a newborn solo.

On Wednesday, Audrey and I got up and went walking at the park. I did some serious power-walk speed because it looked like it was going to storm at any minute and I was determined to get in a few laps. She fussed a little at the beginning and then fell asleep, missing my enthralling nature commentary. Whatever. I was impressed.

After that, we went to the library to check out a few children's books (have you SEEN how much they cost these days? I think we'll be making a lot of trips to the library!) Most of what we checked out is way over her head, but I just get tired of reading "Ball", "Bike", "Bear", -type stuff to her. Those will be great when she can sit up and see, but now I'm more interested in story books to entertain her for as long as I can hold her attention. And truthfully? I like catching up on the Berenstain Bears too. I was so thankful to learn that Sister and McQueenie have buried the hatchet.

Wednesday night we went out for our weekly Target trip. I had coupons that expire today, so of course I had to put them to good use. Even with coupons, it's ridiculous what I spent for paper products, diapers, a few cleaning supplies, and a tube of lipstick. Must have been the lipstick.

When we got back, I fed her and then gave her a bath by myself for the first time. I was terrified, but we did great and she barely whimpered. I think I got wetter than she did and she probably still has soap residue on her, but at least she smells clean!

Today was another maid day courtesy of David's parents. I really could get used to having the house go from dirty to spotless in three hours without having to do anything to get it that way!This afternoon, David came home straight from the airport, so we enjoyed spending a few hours with him and catching up.

Tonight we had another major milestone - leaving Audrey with someone while David and I went out by ourselves!!! Tomorrow is our five year anniversary, so we really wanted to do something to celebrate! His parents came over around 6pm and after going over the evening's routine, (I only left a few short notes) we hurried off to dinner.

We ate at a local Italian restaurant and then went to a bookstore and looked around just long enough to buy something for Audrey and yet another parenting book. We got home around 9 and found out AJ had been an angel for her grandparents (of course, is there any other kind of grandchild as far as the grandparents are concerned?!) It was wonderful to get out for a little while and enjoy each other's company. We even found ourselves talking about topics other than naps and poopy diapers! We're so blessed to have family around that can help us out and give us a break.

So that's the week thus far! I know I'm overdue for pictures, so I'll try to get them up soon.

This "Thankful Thursday" list is going to be a little different than usual. Since tomorrow is our anniversary, I'm going to focus this week on things that I am grateful for about David and our marriage:

1. Being married to my best friend. I know a lot of people use this cliche, but I truly mean it. He is the first person I want to call to share the happy, sad, and every day monotonous moments with. There is no one else I enjoy spending time with more than him, regardless of what we're doing. I never get tired of him! Hopefully he feels the same way... :)

2. Sharing the same sense of humor...as weird and corny as it may be sometimes. There is no way we would have been able to survive some of the stuff we've been through, especially lately, without a good laugh!

3. His patience and understanding. And OH MY, have I tested this over the years. He is hands-down the most patient person I know. Last week I splashed OJ on his iPhone and spilled water on my laptop on the same day and he didn't utter an unkind word or make me feel bad about it. (Both are fine for you worried geeks out there.) There have been much graver examples, of course, but I'm not crazy enough to admit them on this blog!

4. Our ability to communicate. I learned a long time ago to try to avoid playing the mindreader game with him that some women like to play with their husbands. It's not fair to either one of us, so if I have to s-p-e-l-l it out, I do. But, I must say that after a decade together, we have gotten pretty good at just knowing what is going on in the other person's head. I also love that we can talk about anything and everything with each other, and this makes for some really hilarious and randomly strung together conversations. Tonight's topics, for example, ranged from year-round school to chiggers to front porches with a little Facebook gossip thrown in.

5. Watching him in his new role as Daddy. He has always done a great job exhibiting Christ's love to me and I can see that he is going to do that for Audrey as well. He is good and kind and honest and gentle...and all the other traits that I wish I had more of and that I pray our daughter will possess. He is as anxious to learn from her and about her as I am. Little does she know how amazing it is to have both an earthly and a heavenly Daddy that love her so much!

So there you have it. Just a few reasons why I am the most blessed wife in the whole world. Happy Anniversary, Babe. Thank you for all that you do for us, including working your butt off and traveling around the world to bring home the bacon...only to have me burn it. And you still eat it with a smile on your handsome dimpled face. I love you!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a laughfest!! I love your sense of humor. :) Congratulations on your first five years. Looking forward to swapping parenting stories with ya for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!!!! I saw he birth announcements at Mimi and Papa's and she is just beautiful but I am sure you already knew that. I enjoy your Thankful Thursdays and keeping up with you guys. Enjoy this time b/c she will be grown up before you know it.

    Rebecca O'Kelley

    ReplyDelete