Thankful Thursday

Thursday, July 2, 2009

It's been twelve days since Audrey's arrival and we're slowly settling into our new role as parents. I won't dare say that we're into a routine yet. We have a semi-schedule that shifts an hour and half or so in either direction on any given day. Her eating is pretty regular during the day, but naptimes are completely sporadic. As she gets more awake and alert, sleep is less of a priority of hers. Of course, this schedule is way more than most parents of a less-than-two-week-old can hope for! She still has her days and nights straight, thank goodness. Pray that continues!

David went back to work for a couple of half-days this week, which was difficult. Audrey and I managed, but it's definitely much harder without him. Physically and emotionally, I need him here! Financially, of course, we need him at work. We did try to estimate just how long we could manage before they started cutting the utilities off...we decided it wouldn't be worth it. I don't even want to think about next week when he'll go back full time. I don't know who it will be harder on, though - him or us! We're going to try an outing or two on our own, for my sanity's sake, so pray I cope well with that.

Here are a few stories from this week. I have a feeling a lot of my upcoming posts are going to be in bullet points, so forgive the poor writing style:
  • The A/C is fixed! It held out long enough for the repairman to come back and install a new circuit board. It costs so dang much we've considered going up in the attic to have family time around it and admire our latest investment. If it weren't 300 degrees up there, we just might.
  • The other night Audrey wet herself and it somehow managed to escape the diaper. What's worse, David didn't realize it until after he laid her down on our bed to prepare to hand her to me for nursing, so our bed got soaked. (In his defense, it was approxiamately 2:00am.) He cleaned up while I fed Audrey and then we settled back down for sleep. It wasn't until I pulled the covers over me that I realized she managed to wet a lot of the top sheet on my side, too. David started to get up to change it, but I told him not to worry about, I'd just sleep in it. He laughed and said that was "spoken like a true mom." It's amazing - two weeks ago I never would've imagine it was acceptable to sleep in a sheet soaked with someone else's urine. Now, since it's my daughter and it's a matter of ten extra minutes of sleep, I couldn't care less.
  • We have successfully mastered the art of the sponge bath without feeling like we're scarring her for life. Her umbilical cord stump fell off on Wednesday, though, so we can begin giving her full baths now. I think we'll wait another week to get our courage up for that.

And a few stories from labor and delivery that I don't want to forget:

  • The doctors and nurses complimenting me on my manners during natural childbirth. I kept asking David to "please" give me some ice chips and they thought this was hilarious. Not once did I curse him for "putting me in that situation"!
  • The two little scabs that Audrey had on each of her pointer fingers. We thought they were birth marks, but they ended up being marks from where she had sucked on her fingers in utero. And yet I still feel guilty for giving her a pacifier for a few minutes a day!
  • Me having to wake David up because he was sleeping through his cell phone alarm on the second night in the hospital. He, in typical new-Dad fashion, jumped to his feet as if there was a fire.
  • The sweet nurses. We had a great team taking care of us and didn't have any scary experiences at all!
  • The food being surprisingly good!

Finally, my Thankful Thursday list:

1. Another great, healthy, semi-restful week with Audrey!

2. David's time off. It was such a huge blessing that he was able to take a full week and then part of this week, too. It's been great for the three of us to bond as a new family, and for him to have time to get to know his little girl.

3. Meals! And brownies! Our church Life Group started bringing meals this week and it's so helpful not to have to worry about cooking right now. Thanks to them and to the other friends and family that have provided/will provide food for us!

4. Hot showers. I never thought that taking a shower could feel like a day at the spa. I've somehow managed to sneak one in every day since Audrey was born. I lie and say it's because I don't want to offend anyone with my body odor, but the truth is it's a fifteen minute piece of heaven I steal for myself. Calgon, take me away...

5. Independence Day and the incredible country we live in! I'm so thankful for the men and women that have served to gain and are serving to keep our freedom. God bless you and your families!

Enjoy your 4th of July!!! And Happy Birthday, Kim!!!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!