Thankful Thursday...and a guilt-ridden rant

Thursday, July 16, 2009

I cannot believe it's time for a Thankful Thursday post again. This week, as with the several before it, has been a bit of a blur. Somehow, between the visitors, nursing sessions, diaper changes, and loads of laundry, the time has flown by. I'm hoping to do a "typical day" post sometime soon so that in the future I can look back and remember how I spent these early weeks.

Until then and before my list, I have a confession. I have already fallen victim to the mostly guilt-ridden trap of comparison-parenting. As I am a relatively new parent, this is a relatively new experience for me. However, I am 100% certain that it will become a demon I battle for the rest of my life.

Comparison-parenting is self-explanatory, but let me explain. It is an occurance whereby you look around at other parents, both people you know and total strangers, and size up their skills as a guardian vs. your own. What I've discovered is that it's very easy to come out on top when comparing yourself to total strangers. Of course you're doing better than the mother who is talking on her cell phone while her kid is screaming and throwing a fit in Target. Nevermind that my child is three weeks old and can't talk yet, let alone throw fits. Nevermind that her kid may have been an angel all day, but is now exhausted and finally broke down. Nevermind that that poor woman may be on the phone with her church, trying to schedule a time when she can volunteer to help the poor. Or, better yet, when she AND her child can stop by to drop off their Target purchases to a needy family, therefore teaching her child about giving to the less fortunate.

Of course this scenario isn't likely. It's more likely that she's just having a crappy parent moment. And hopefully that's all it is...a moment. Hopefully, for the sake of all of our children who may one day be in school with her child, it was just a bad moment for both of them. So, I try not to look too indignant as I push my buggy past them and move on to find an advanced-age book for my genius baby.

The other side to the comparison-parenting coin is far worse...for me, at least. It's the side where I come out as the bad guy. This has been the case a lot more frequently lately:
  • Why haven't I been able to get out more? (Even though we try to make it out somewhere once a day on the days we don't have visitors, I still feel like I should be able to do MORE by this point.) So-and-so has already been to France and back with her one month old.
  • Why can't I make it through an entire 30 minute feeding without running out of educational things to talk to Audrey about? So-and-so's kid was reciting Shakespeare at the age of 3 because she would read it to him while she was nursing.
  • Why am I not eating more fruits and vegetables? So-and-so is the picture of perfect nutrition. She was even quoted as an expert in Parenting Magazine.
  • Why am I not okay with leaving Audrey with anyone but David yet? So-and-so already has three regular babysitters. Who each have early childhood education degrees and are infant CPR certified, of course.
  • Why doesn't anything in my closet fit? So-and-so wore her pre-pregnancy jeans home from the hospital. (And by the way, I totally called THIS so-and-so a bad name behind her back.)
  • Why can't I leave the television off more? (For the record, I never let AJ face towards it. I just mean when David and I watch it.) So-and-so removed all of the tv's in their house the day they brought their child home and only allowed classical music to be played on the radio.
  • Why am I not taking more pictures and video? So-and-so had their foyer wallpapered out of all the photos they took of their baby.
These cases are obviously exaggerated. But, even so, I'm probably just catching them in good parenting moments. But I still have times during the day that I feel like crap. And I realize these moments are never going to go away. They'll just turn into bigger, crappier feeling moments as Audrey gets older. So what's a mom to do? Well, I don't know yet. I'm still working on it. I have figured out it helps to focus on the things I feel that I'm getting right. For instance:
  • I have managed to keep Audrey alive so far. Clearly the #1 good thing.
  • I talk to her A LOT. I sing the alphabet song at least ten times a day, we read plenty of books, and I explain what I'm doing just about all day, every day since "they" say this is one of the best ways to educate your newborn. I annoy myself sometimes.
  • I shut-up and let her explore her world in peace and quiet too.
  • I take my vitamins religiously to make up for my slacker diet.
  • I haven't missed paying a bill yet. This makes me a good mom because I consider running water and a roof over our head necessities for raising a child.
  • I pray for her and about her.
  • I feed, bathe, and clothe the child. Okay, so we leave her in just a diaper a lot. But I do feed and bathe her.
  • I pick her up and hold her, and not just when she is crying or eating. Sometimes I do it just because I want to stare at her and admire God's workmanship.
  • I have showered and brushed my teeth daily since she was born. This makes me a good mother because I don't subject her to bad B.O. and I'm leading by example with good hygiene habits.
  • I refuse to talk on the cell phone while driving with her in the car. I realize this will probably end, but I'm proud of it so far.
  • I love her Daddy tremendously and, amazingly, I haven't driven him away with my hormonal insanity yet. I haven't even cursed at him. Don't get me wrong...I've snapped at him and uttered passive-aggressive comments, but there hasn't been any cursing. Yet.
  • I love her. And she doesn't have to do a thing to earn it. I love her so much that I would lay down my life for her without thinking twice. So much so that I would seriously consider taking the life of anyone that ever intentionally, seriously harmed her. Much more than I ever thought possible.

So I'm doing a few things right. And as long as the ones on the "right" list are more important than the ones on the "wrong" list (because they won't always outnumber them), then we'll be just fine. But feel free to post any comparison-parenting stories of your own in the comment section or email them to me so I know I'm not the only crazy mommy!

Finally, my thankful Thursday list:

1. McDonald's Happy Meals. Perfect for an on-the-go Mommy who realizes at 2pm she hasn't eaten lunch yet. And yes, I know this directly relates to why nothing in my closet fits. At least I was using good portion judgement.

2. Close proximity to civilization. As I said before, we try to go somewhere everyday that we don't have visitors. It may be a quick trip up to Publix for milk or a run to Blockbuster, but it's out and I'm thankful we have so many choices close by!

3. Our DVR. Because we never know when we're going to get 45 minutes of uninterrupted television time.

4. My back pain slowly dissipating. Thanks for your prayers. It's feeling a lot better!

5. A God who loves me, despite both my real and perceived faults. And I'm thankful for His Word, specifically these verses I came across today: "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 9-10

I'll post more pictures either Saturday or Sunday. We've got more visits this weekend, so I'm going to hold off until then...

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing WONDERFUL job as a mommy. I can tell through your loving words for your daughter and husband. Don't worry about what other people do for their children. As long as your daughter is happy and healthy then you are doing what is right for her. But I totally understand where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had my first comparison-parenting moment in a Target. I was wheeling a blissfully sleeping Abby about in her car seat, which snaps safely into any shopping cart. I was loaded up with my 6-pack of filtered bottled waters and my two tubs of formula, and my 3 dozen diapers and wipes as well as several educational toys just because you NEVER KNOW when you might be stranded on the side of the road with your baby for a WEEK.

    I came around the corner and there was a lady with a baby the size of a green bean cuddled up on her shoulder while she shopped with the other hand. Not 5-point strapped into a car seat that also is saftely snapped into the cart. No diaper bag in sight. I had to really bite my tongue not to give that woman the full impact of all the wisdom that four weeks of motherhood had brought me and tell her to get herself home that very minute! Before she dropped that baby!

    ReplyDelete