Thankful Thursday

Thursday, May 6, 2010

This week has had some real highs and lows and I must admit I'm glad that it's almost over.  Last Saturday night, my grandmother fell and broke her hip.  They finally got her levels where they needed to be and operated on her yesterday.  To prepare for her discharge, we've been researching and touring rehab/assisted living facilities and are overwhelmed at this new uncharted territory.  Please keep her in your thoughts in the coming days and weeks.  The road to recovery is going to be tough and full of difficult decisions for our family. 

The upside was that David got back in town on Tuesday after a two week business trip in Israel.  It was such a relief to have my partner and main support system home!  During the time he was gone, I had a grand total of four hours of help - once for a trip to the doctor, then an afternoon at the dentist and Babies' R Us.  (For which I'm very grateful to my mother for!)  Needless to say, though, it was an intense two weeks solo-parenting.  The grace of God, and His continuous outpouring of patience into me, brought us through.

With all that's going on with my family, we haven't had much time to catch up as a couple or a family.  I'm hoping that this weekend will allow us a chance to do that.  Not to mention my first official Mother's Day! 

Here is this week's list:

1.  My grandmother's progress thus far...and so many other things about this tough situation.  The fall could have been worse.  She could have taken longer to stabilize.  She could have had a doctor who rushed her into surgery or made a mistake in the OR.  She could have had terrible nurses.  Instead, God has watched over her and, albeit slowly, she is moving in the right direction.
 
2.  David's support.  Once again, he amazes me with his quiet strength.  He walked in the door on Tuesday after a red-eye international flight and with major jet lag and took over as Mr. Mom.   The past few days he has really stepped up to the plate for us and taken care of Audrey so I could step up for my family.  

3. Chocolate chip cookies.  I'm quite the connoisseur of the selection at fast food restaurants and have made the rounds of my favorites this past week.  Can you say emotional eating?! 

4.  Being a mommy to the best kid in the world.  Really, she is amazing.  There is no better feeling than watching her face light up when I walk in a room - even if I've only been gone for a minute or two.  I know I'm overdue for an update and I hope to have a moment to write one soon.  She just gets cuter with each passing day and I'm so blessed to have such a healthy, sweet baby girl.

5.  My mom, mother-in-law, grandmothers, grandmothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, and all the other mommies out there who have done or are doing the hardest job on earth:  Motherhood!  Enjoy your special day, ladies!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!