Luke is One Month!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Luke is one month old today!  As most parents of newborns, part of me feels like it's been every bit of a month and the other part feels like 30 days can't have possibly passed already.  Part of me is happy we're through those really tough first few weeks and the other part is aching that I'll never have them back.  I actually lied to a lady yesterday (in the church parking lot, no less) and told her that he was three weeks old.  Granted, he was three weeks and six days, but I knew as I was saying it that I should've said a month.  I just couldn't bring myself to speak the truth because it sounded so old!


We have been doing really well.  Really, really well, all things considered.  At the beginning of the week I decided it was time to at least begin thinking about a schedule.  My philosophy this time around has been to hold off trying until it becomes more convenient to be on one than not on one.  As I'm starting back to Bible study and we'll be picking up with our small group next week, I decided it was a good time to at least head in that direction.  


Though we're nowhere near predictable yet, he's beginning to be more awake and show patterns (at least in daytime eating) that I'm working with.  My goal is to get him on the following feeding schedule:  7:30am, 9:45am, 12:45pm, 3:15pm, 6:00pm, 8:30pm daytime and then on demand at night.  For the last few days we've actually been pretty close to that.  He likes his lunch a bit earlier than 12:45, but we'll get there.  Once we have his check-up on Tuesday and I know he's gaining weight okay, I'll feel better about making him wait and stretching him a bit here and there.  


Sleep-wise, I have three main goals right now: keep him awake for at least a little while after each daytime feeding, get him on the same afternoon nap schedule as Audrey, and stretch out those nighttime feedings.  We're slowly making progress in each area.  He even went four hours on Tuesday night (from start of feeding to start of feeding, remember, so he slept for a little over three after I fed him, changed him, and got him settled).  Unfortunately between the neighbor's loud music and his noisy sleep habits, I still only got about two hours straight that shift.  And then last night he was back to eating every 2.5 and I was only getting 1.5 hour shifts, so who knows.  Still, I don't feel completely exhausted.  Just half-way exhausted.  Which is livable. 


He's still sleeping in our room and will be until he consistently drops two of his FOUR nighttime feedings.  Though Audrey moved out on or near her one month mark, I don't feel the need to rush him.  With her I was so much more by the book and afraid if I didn't do something by a certain point, she'd miss the window (i.e. be sleeping in our room until she was nine.)  As I mentioned in my previous post, this time around is more relaxed.  I don't feel like getting up and feeding him 3-4 times a night in his room, so we'll wait another couple of weeks.  David can sleep anytime, anywhere, and be back asleep within 90 seconds after waking, so he's fine with it too.


We have also made the decision to let him sleep on his tummy like we did with Audrey.  (What?! Gasp! Shock!  *Dialing DFCS*)  You can read more about all that came with that decision on Audrey's One Month blog post here.  We came to the same conclusion for the same reasons and are trusting the same God that protected Audrey to watch over Luke as he sleeps.  


He is slowly becoming more awake and alert and I love seeing those pretty eyes when they lock on mine for just a moment.  He is looking more and more like his sister and, therefore, like his Daddy.  Guess I'm out of luck for a baby that looks like me.  Don't get me wrong, I think David is an incredibly good looking fella.  I just wanted to see some of myself manifested in these kiddos...and in ways other than Audrey's OCD and organizational tendencies. :)  She is starting to favor me a bit more, I think, so maybe down the road they'll turn into a good balance of the two of us.  I'm so very glad they both have David's adorable dimples, though.  That'll make for three irresistible smiles I cannot say no to in this house!  


Hmmm...what else?  No bottle yet, but I plan on starting to pump this weekend so he can have the occasional one while I'm out.  He's in size one diapers and has outgrown all of his newborn clothes.  In fact, several of his 0-3 month outfits are starting to fit a little snug!  I won't know his weight/length until after his check-up next week, but I'm guessing and hoping he'll be just at 10 lbs.  


As for his gassy tummy, it's a lot better, despite the reintroduction of chocolate into my diet (yeah, I lasted about 3 1/2 days with that one.)  I think sleeping on his belly helped with it.  He is spitting up more now, but I'm not alarmed because it doesn't appear to be a whole lot.  I'm trying to nurse him at an incline, burp him often, and keep him elevated for awhile after each feeding.  I'm sure we'll address it with the doctor next week, but his protruding gut and developing rolls seem to speak for themselves.  


Here are some other factoids/Luke's first month in numbers (again, click here to compare with Audrey's first month):

  • Approx. 270 nursing sessions (more than with AJ because it's easier to just feed on demand than stretch out the second kid)
  • Approx. 275 diaper changes (less than with AJ because you let the second one sit in it longer!)
  • Who knows how many visitors, but definitely less this go-round.  Sorry, kid.  You're the second.
  • 16 home-cooked meals delivered so far (more than with AJ because I'm in two small groups...and because people are generous and know we need it more this time around!)
  • 12 sponge baths (more than with AJ because, well, I don't know!  Boys are stinkier?!)
  • Approx. 15 outings including his first trips to Chick-fil-A, Publix, Target (several), Hobby Lobby, Wolf Camera, Kohl's, Gymboree, Moe's, Babies R Us, Five Spot yogurt, Buy Buy Baby, my Bible Study at church, and at least half a dozen trips to the park.  (Waaaay more than with Audrey.  He's gonna have to learn to keep up with the two of us on-the-go girls!)
  • Not nearly enough hours of sleep.
  • Not nearly enough kisses, hugs, and cuddles...gotta work on that!

SO, that's what's been going on in his/our world.  I'll update more in the March recap at the end of the month.  Until then, check out the gallery for an album of his professional newborn pictures.


Happy One Month, Luke!  We love you and are so very, very glad you're here!  
  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!