February 2015 Recap

Wednesday, March 11, 2015


Most of our February can be wrapped up in this post about Luke's birthday and party or this post about Audrey's recent Celiac diagnosis.  After all that, there are only about 8-10 bullet points to share with you, but in the interest of being consistent with my recaps (because, let's face it, this blog is nothing if not consistent), here they are:
  • David traveled to Ohio for a few days and then California for almost a week at the beginning of the month.  As I've said before, we miss him a ton, it's not ideal, and it throws off my exercise schedule horribly, but oh my are things so much easier than they used to be when the kids were itty bitty!  I do wish I had some of that energy I used to have to tackle big projects while he was gone.  When we were first married, he knew to expect a room to be painted a different color or a closet to be completely reorganized by the time he got home.  Now I'm lucky if I make it through a 30 minute show on the DVR before I'm out. (And actually, since it's pre-recorded and I can fast forward through commercials, that actually makes it about 24 minutes...even worse!)
  • I dropped off my consignment sale stuff and then hit the huge seller presale a few days after that. I love having that off my to-do list for another few months and can't wait to get the check!
  • In between David's trips, we managed to send the kids away to his parents' for a night so we could have a 24 hour date.  We went out for a nice lunch and then came home and worked on Luke's big boy bed, finished up a little decor project in Audrey's room, did taxes, went for a run, and patched ceiling nail holes.  May it never be said that we don't know how to do it up big without the kids.
  • Valentine's Day 2015 was as low-key as it has been for the past couple of years.  I made a special breakfast, we gave the kids each a toy and some chocolate candy, and we had heart-shaped cookies.  It was nice and easy and I got a beautiful azalea out of the day.  
  • The weather was stupid.  See previous posts for details, but no power for 24 hours makes me realized how spoiled I am...and I'm okay with that.  Heat and the use of a refrigerator are important luxuries.
  • We went to the circus and the kids loved "The Greatest Show on Earth."  I enjoyed it as well, but really found myself more curious at how the audience (and me, to some extent) weren't absolutely amazed by the performances in front of us.  I mean, there is a MAN in a cage with a bunch of LIONS, for pete's sake!  (And his name is not even Daniel!) There are eight motorcycles going at the same time in a small sphere right before our eyes!  And yet we all kinda walked out of there like "Yeah, that was cool!  So...where do you want to eat for dinner?"  Thanks, YouTube and the internet for overstimulating us to the point that we don't even think phenomenal human feats are all that phenomenal anymore.  
  • Luke made the move to a big boy full-size bed and is doing great with it!  Sometimes in the morning I find him lined up horizontally across the very top as if he's still in his toddler bed, but he'll get used to the space eventually.
  • I went to the dentist.  (I felt the need to hit my 8-10 bullet point range I promised.)  Riveting stuff here, folks.  I'd better move on to the kids before I lose you completely...
I only have two cute kid stories for you this month, but I promise they're good (I'm totally not biased):
  • I broke off a piece of my Starbucks banana bread to share with Luke one day.  He took it and then suddenly got a very concerned look on his face.  "Mommy!  I think I just chewed one of your teeth!"  The nuts along the top edge had caught him completely off guard and he thought he'd chewed up a tooth I broke off in the bread!
  • One night as I was putting Audrey to bed, I saw David walk out of Luke's room after putting him down. I said, "Well, we'd better wrap it up or Daddy's going to be looking for me."  Audrey replied, "Yeah.  We don't want him to have kittens."  Confused, I said, "Do you mean 'have a conniption?'"  "No, Mommy!  Have kittens! It means get upset.  It's from one of my Nancy Drew Clue Crew books."  Now I was really curious because I'd never heard of such a thing.  I turned on the light and, let me tell you, that girl was immediately able to identify which Nancy Drew book out of the 20 she owns she'd read that from and then, within 25-30 seconds, she found the page it was on.  So a) I got schooled about what the heck "having kittens" means and 2) her photographic memory is awesome!  And scary!  But mostly awesome!  (Dear Lord, please please let her only remember the times her Mommy was calm, patient, and loving...)  
That's all I've got for you for now.  Hang on y'all...Spring IS coming!  We need the sunshine, the color, and the warmth so badly right now!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!