Thankful Thursday

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Y'all.  This is my fourth post this week.  That's FOUR posts in FOUR days!  If the rest of the year goes to pot, I want you to please remember this streak and give me a teensy bit of credit for it.

I guess I really should find something more productive with my time.  I could be the PTA secretary because the current president asked me this week if I would consider it.  

...AAAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  

If she only knew... Thankfully she did it over email because I would've hated to laugh in her face.  David and I both doubled-over cracking up at the suggestion.  Since his sweet mama was PTA royalty and I worked at the state office in college, I have a better grasp than most about what it takes to do the job right and it. is. no. joke! 

Let me clarify that it's not a preposterous idea.  It's just that it's a preposterous idea at this point in my life.  Maybe when both kids are in school, but honey, unless you want to be on the 6 o'clock news talking about the crazy woman who lost her mind at a general membership meeting, I'd better respectfully decline.  This fall is going to hold double room mom duty plus a committee or two, (probably) leading another small group, working, and, hopefully, putting on a 5K race.  And Luke will only have two mornings a week of preschool, which equates to about 6.5 hours if you take out drive time and carpool.  Being PTA Secretary is NOT my best yes right now.  I let her down gently and I think she took it well.  

Okay, on to the list because I don't want to take for granted those of you dedicated readers who have already devoted entirely too much time to this blog in the last few days (Quick question:  Do you know where your children are and have you been feeding them?  Because I do not want to be held responsible for your negligent behavior!)

1.  I don't want to write too much on the subject yet lest I jinx us, but Luke has been a potty training CHAMP this week.  Since we have absolutely nothing else on our plate right now, we started the boot camp method on Saturday (straight to underwear, no leaving the house for several days, lots of liquids and then watch him like a hawk and catch him in the act of an accident...no just sitting around on the potty).  We thought we'd do that to jump start things and kick off what would likely be a months-long battle, hoping he'd have it down by the start of preschool in the fall.  However, he is doing incredibly well and it's been soooooooo much easier than I ever dreamed!  ...Okay, that's enough.  I'm afraid I've already mentioned too much.  More details later after I have a chance to see if it sticks.  Until then, please say a prayer and knock on some wood for us!  

2.  I can go ahead and brag on Audrey, who is taking all of these gluten-free diet changes in stride.  Not one single whine or complaint has come out of her mouth!  I am so proud of her attitude about it all!  She's helping me read labels and double-checking me on stuff, which is completely her personality, but I'm trying to get her to back off a little because I don't want her feeling burdened with it at age five.  She's doing wonderfully with it all, though!

3.  Big Mama and Boo Mama.  Now I'm betting all but one of the six or seven of you readers are wondering who the heck I'm talking about.  Well, Big Mama is Melanie Shankle and Boo Mama is Sophie Hudson and both of them are Jesus-lovers, southerners, mamas, bloggers, and book authors.  They are not too often deep (or, rather, they hide gems of truth in layers of comedy) but they are always hilarious.  My friend Kara introduced me to Melanie by way of her book "Antelope in the Living Room."  She sent it to me back in December and I read it quickly, then ordered her other one entitled "Sparkly Green Earrings."  Last week I picked up Sophie's (cause, you know, we're on a first name basis) "Home is Where My People Are" and devoured it.  Their light-hearted stories and comic relief is just what I need in my life right now.  (Sorry, Jen Hatmaker, because I love you too, but Interrupted is going to have to sit on the nightstand a little bit longer.)  

I've also been taking a break from my usual sermon podcasts on my morning runs and listening to the one they do together.  I have found myself laughing so hard at some points that I can hardly run.  It feels like eaves dropping on a conversation between two best friends who discuss everything from their kids' homework to hair spray to musicals to crackers.  (And I never accidentally chime in while I'm listening as if they're really on the phone with me, because that would just be weird.)  If you're looking for something to spur you on to new spiritual depths, I can't promise they are your gals, but if you need a laugh...and boy, have I lately...they are there for you.  

4.  These wide leg pants from Old Navy (a recommendation from none other than the previously mentioned Boo Mama.)  If, hypothetically, those ten pounds I've been carrying since November have gotten so persistent in their stalking that I've considered a restraining order, well, I'd want a pair (or two) of wide leg pants to help camouflage them.  At least until I can put down my mint Oreos and fight back.  (Don't forget to look up a coupon if you order some.)

5.  60 and 70 degree weather.  Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.  




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!