Update on New Year's Resolutions

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

So I decided it's time for a (near) quarterly review of my New Year's Resolutions.  In case you don't have them memorized (what kind of committed reader are you?!), they were:

1.  Get in shape.
2.  Read more
3.  Implement the monthly virtue lessons in a book titled "In This House, We Will Giggle" to help teach the kids important things we want to pass on but in a purposeful, fun way.

I am kicking tail on one of the three of them.  Any guesses as to which one?  

Yeah, the second one.  AKA, the easiest one of the three.  I've read Home is Where My People Are and A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson, Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle, and Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker thus far.  I still need to finish Best Yes and Hands Free Mama, but I'm super close on both of them so that should count for one whole book, bringing my total for the year to five.  Even if you take out my cheating math, that's four!  I'm pretty pleased with that.  

As for the other resolutions, well...what had happened was... 

Seriously, I have had the hardest time getting any traction on the fitness side of things.  I'll start exercising and then stop because the weather is bad (I know, I know... go to the gym.  I do!  I just can't force myself to exercise indoors more than twice a week) or I'm fighting a sinus infection or the weather is bad or we're blindsided with a stupid diagnosis and I find it hard to concentrate and commit to anything else or the weather is bad or I just don't have the time.  Plus, I LOVE me some food when I'm stressed.  As I mentioned in a previous post, it is one of the great tragedies of my life that I don't lose weight when I'm overwhelmed.  There are seasons I would've been 90 lbs soaking wet.  Anyway, excuses, excuses, excuses.  But also...grace, grace, grace.  

I really wanted to have lost 10 pounds by now and, technically, I have.  It's just that it's been two pounds off one pound on or three pounds off four pounds on.  So I've lost ten pounds...it's just that I've also gained ten (cough, cough...twelve.)  But, alas, there is a 10K on the horizon and the renewed motivation of spring a comin' with its less-camoflauging wardrobe.  

For the last resolution, (teaching the kids certain virtues), it's going so-so.  I'm remembering to change the Bible verses and I bring them up about once or twice a week instead of daily, so I'd give myself a solid "C" on that one.  Hopefully the kids won't end up having "C" level morals. (Kidding.) (Not kidding.)

In closing, I leave you and me with a visual reminder of where I was last May in hopes to remind myself of the possibility:


And, so far, I'm right on track to have that bikini-ready body again this year.  Well, almost.  Except it's probably gonna come closer to resembling to this guy: 



(But if you squint, you can hardly tell a difference, right?)

Oh well.  Gotta keep truckin'.  Vacation in 11 weeks!  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!