Thankful Thursday

Thursday, January 26, 2012

We've had bad colds over here this week, so much so that David actually came home at lunch time on Tuesday.  The man hasn't taken any sick time (due to his own illness) in as long as I can remember.  Two or three years, at least.  I ended up taking AJ to the doctor yesterday.  She hasn't had a fever and has been acting fine, but her coughing fits at night were keeping all of us awake and had begun to sound worrisome.  The nurse practitioner we saw said her lungs and ears were clear and gave us permission to give her a tiny dosage of cough syrup (as with most cold medicines at this age, that's typically a major no-no.)  We tried that last night, and whether it was the solution or just a coincidence, we all finally got some decent rest.  I gotta say, though, that being this pregnant and being sick should be illegal.  Nights I slept well cold-wise, I had to get up and go to the bathroom three times or Audrey's coughing would wake me up and then pregnancy insomnia wouldn't let me get back to sleep.  Rough week.


Groaning and complaining aside, we're on the mend and turns out we'll probably make it.


1.  My brother Brian, whose birthday was Tuesday.  He may not live nearby, but our weekly phone conversations keep us close.  I don't know what I'd do without his love, support, and research capabilities for geeky products/cars/all things Apple.  Happy Birthday, B.  We love you!


2.  Classic (and classy) old movies that let innuendoes be innuendoes and have a plot line that actually makes you think.  We don't watch a lot of movies to begin with, but man is it nice to be rewarded for your time when you do.


3.  That January is almost over.  There have been some great times and dates (my brother's birthday, our Babymoon) and some really crummy times (Audrey's stomach bug, my pregnancy cramping and scare, her sleep issues, our colds.)  Frankly, I'm just ready for this month to be over.  Hoping, of course, that we'll add a new member to our family before the end of the next. :) Not too early though.  Sometime between the 24-28th or, if you must, the 1st or 2nd, please sir.  I'm not terribly picky.  Just PLEASE no Leap Day.


4.  Truly feeling a part of a large church.  12Stone church is huge.  In 2010, it was the 40th largest and #1 fastest growing church in America.  Each week, nearly 10,000 people attend one of the thirteen services offered on one of four campuses.  Considering those staggering numbers, it would be incredibly easy for us to be passive observers who feel like we aren't really a part of it.  It would also be super easy to soak up and leave without contributing.  And yet, we don't do either.  


Each Sunday, we worship with people we've met and, often, have been part of small, intimate groups and studies with.  Most weeks, Audrey and I have a play date with a mom that has become a dear friend.  Not a day goes by that I don't connect via phone call, text, or Facebook with someone from there.  We show up, we serve, and we tithe because it's our home base and we support it.


This past week, I merged a bunch of those I've met in the last year into one giant play group and we took over Catch Air and Chick-fil-A for a few hours.  It was wonderful to look around at all the sweet faces that have become a part of our lives.  Even in our short time there, we've shared some tough and deep moments and stuff with these folks.  We've dug into the Word together and we've sharpened each other.  It's not a perfect church by any means, because it's full of imperfect people, but it's going about God's business in the right way.  


This coming Sunday, we'll finally make our commitment official and join as members.  There was a time in recent years that I felt so burned and jaded from a mega church experience that I was sure we'd never go that route again.  And yet, God had different plans for us.  I've been hesitant and slow to obedience at times, but God has patiently used this church to restore my relationship with Him and my belief in the importance of belonging to a church.  For that, I am incredibly grateful.


5.  In honor of #4 above, this week's song is one that our church often does that I like.  (Note:  This video is not 12Stone's band.)


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!