Thankful Thursday/Sleep Issues Update/Stomach Bug

Thursday, January 5, 2012

I greatly appreciate the prayers for Audrey's sleep issues.  They seem to have gotten a little better.  Now she either briefly cries once or twice when we put her to bed or briefly cries once or twice in the middle of the night, but hasn't done both in a record-breaking two days.  She's still getting up a little earlier than usual and her naps have permanently shortened, but I still call it progress.  Which is good, because now we're dealing with her first stomach flu/food poisoning.  Nope, not kidding (about it being her first or about having to handle it on top of her sleep issues on top of pregnancy.)


She cried last night after I put her down, so David went in there as has been our MO for the past week.  She finds him way less entertaining than she finds me in the middle of the night, I suppose, so he's been handling her crying.  Not to mention that if this doesn't fix itself soon, he's going to have to handle it solo because I'll be up with #2, so we figured she'd better get used to only him now.  I heard him tell her to lay down, then I heard vomiting noises, than I heard, "Oh! HEATHER!  Heatherheatherheatherheather!"  The man is great about a TON of things, but remaining calm when it comes to our kid being sick or injured has not proved to be his strong suit.


I walk into a scene that looks like something out of the Exorcist.  (Okay, truthfully, I've never seen the Exorcist, but I think that's what people say when there's puke everywhere.)  "Oh," I thought to myself.  "This is why they call it projectile vomiting."  David has Audrey up and out at arm's length and they're just standing there staring at each other, one crying and one about to start crying.  I ushered them to the bathroom, trying to calm them both down.  I stand Audrey in front of the toilet, rub her back, and explain life lesson #465, 723 that the parenting books don't mention you'll have to pass on:  "You're okay.  This is called throw-up or vomit.  Your stomach is upset, so it's pushing all your food out to help it feel better.  It's okay."  David thankfully began cleaning up her room while I began cleaning her up.  I'm not positive, but I think I heard a pressure washer going in there.  She was fine, no fever, and talking a mile a minute when we finally got everything and everybody cleaned up and her back in bed an hour later.  She slept straight through the night and I had to wake her up this morning.  Go figure.


We had one more "episode" this morning, but I think the worst is over.  We've been taking it super duper slow today both in activity and food and she's staying hydrated.  I may get crazy and offer her a banana AND toast for dinner.  Poor baby.


So please continue to pray for her sleep and, if you don't mind, add a prayer that she gets better and that David and I stay well.  The last thing this preggo Mama needs is a stomach bug.


Here is this week's list:


1.  My dear sweet husband.  Yes, I know.  He's on the list all the stinkin' time.  But show me a man that's willing to get up night after night with a crying kid without complaint and I'll show you a hero.  :)


2.  A short week.  Starting back after a break or vacation is always rough so I'm pumped that it's only a four day work week for David.  Even if it has felt anything but short!  C'mon Friday evening!


3. Gift cards.  We went out on Tuesday to run a couple of errands and I put three bags from three different stores in the car without spending a cent of our own money.  Nice!


4.  Things that make cold nights tolerable:  warm baths, flannel sheets, hot chocolate, warm pajamas, fires, and a husband to snuggle with.


5.  There is a Facebook fad right now of posting the video of the song that was number one the week and year you were born.  I didn't participate on there, so you get the pleasure here.  Not sure what this says about me, but here ya go:


  

Have a great weekend and stay well!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!