Happy 2nd Birthday, Audrey! (Belated post)

Saturday, July 2, 2011

I'm not even going to attempt to top last year's birthday letter, but I do want to try and write AJ a note each year, so here goes.  Below is an attempt to capture a little of what I'm feeling about and for our not-so-little Little One on her second birthday.


Dear Audrey,


As I was preparing your photo slideshow for your birthday party, I was surprised that it didn't seem as emotionally difficult for me this year as it did last year.  Obviously you've grown a tremendous amount, but the physical evidence wasn't as staggering as the first twelve months.  It's when I stop and think about the mental, emotional, and spiritual leaps and bounds you've made that I realize how much you've changed.  


A year ago you were barely talking.  Now I put you down for nap and relish the silence for a moment as I close your door.  By the time you wake up, though, I'm antsy about how quiet it's been and can't wait to hear your voice and what you have to say.    


A year ago you were barely walking.  Now you're walking, running, jumping (boy do you like to jump!), dancing (see previous parenthesis), and climbing stairs with ease.  Although you still need an adult with you, despite your insistence otherwise as you holler out, "Mommy!  I'm climbing the stairs without a grown-up!"


A year ago your menu was relatively limited, you hadn't yet mastered utensils, and you were still using a soft sippy cup.  Now you can just about hold your own in a mexican restaurant with your Daddy and I, which is really saying something.  


A year ago you didn't know the alphabet.  Now you can sing it, recognize and name all of the upper and lower case letters, and know all the sounds they make.  You can even spell your name and know a few rhyming words.  


A year ago you couldn't say the name Jesus.  Now you are beginning to pray to Him, sing about Him, and learn His word through songs and books.  Your heart is a sponge for Him and I'm pouring as fast as I can.    


I could go on and on about the changes and strides you've made over the last 365 days.  Each of them are astounding alone, but when you add them all together, well...maybe this year IS as emotionally difficult for me to grasp!  You are slowly becoming a little girl right before my eyes and I can't do a thing to stop it.  Most days I don't want to.  I miss aspects of you being tiny, but this stage is fun and exciting too!   Your imagination is flourishing, your vocabulary is close to most adults' I know, and your heart....oh, that I could protect its sweet innocence forever.  


Lest you read this one day and think you were indeed the perfect child, I must confess you've got a flair for drama.  You tend to be OCD about the placement of things and you can get awfully whiney at times.  Just when I'm about to go over the edge during one of your noisy complaint sessions, you'll do something like share your last goldfish with me or give me a giant leg hug and my blood pressure returns to normal and my heart hurts for how much I love you.


Of course, you're also becoming bossy and nosey, but don't let me or anyone else tell you those are bad traits.  Being a knowledgeable leader will get you far in this world.  Just make sure you use your powers for good.  


I can't begin to detail the changes you've brought about in your Daddy and me over the last year as well.  Raising you has brought us closer together and closer to Jesus.  We know we need each other and Him now more than ever as we bear the overwhelming responsibility of raising you.


Most of the time, though, the load is light.  You're a good sleeper, a good eater, and a quick learner.  You're obedient, though not to a fault.  You test the limits just enough to keep my praying knees calloused.  


You're thoughtful.  You're cautious.  You like to be in control of yourself.  You're equally comfortable dancing in front of  a crowd or nestled in my lap watching the action.  You're curious.  You deliver a great punch line.  You're my best shopping buddy and my favorite dress-up doll.  You are an encourager and a cheerleader.  You sing a good song, dance a fast dance, and play a mean toy drum.  You're so intelligent.  You're super adorable.  You're so YOU.  And I love learning just what that means.  


Here's to the next 365 days, Love.  May we both become better and stronger through them.  Happy Birthday, Sugar.


I love you,


Mommy 
xoxoxoxo  





No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!