Thankful Thursday

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Boy oh boy have we been busy these past few weeks.  Actually, it feels like it's been kinda nuts since the beginning of May.  It started with David traveling at the beginning of the month and his 30 days of celebration/gifts, then Mother's Day, then we went on our trip (was that just in May?!), then there was his party, then Audrey's 2nd birthday, then Father's Day, then her party, and then 4th of July.  In the past three weeks alone I've hosted a baby shower dinner and a birthday party, gone to a wedding and a family reunion, and had at least eight to ten dinner and play dates.  And then there was the whole "is our house about to go on the market? We'd better get busy!" stress.  Once we decided not to sell and our calendar slowed down, we immediately began potty training.  Not really the break we needed.


Speaking of, I think I wrote my Potty Party post a little too soon.  We seem to have hit a plateau of sorts where we either take her every 45 minutes or she has mini-accidents, holds it, tells us, and then finishes on the potty.  Not a huge deal at home, but when we're out, she has trouble relaxing on the uncomfortable public potties. I don't want to go into great detail, as the memory is still painfully fresh, but let's just say I was NOT a happy camper as I was cleaning up the mess on the Barnes and Noble bathroom floor after our fourth trip to it in 45 minutes.  Um, offer her praise and encouragement?  Hardly.  I was too busy trying to keep my breakfast down.  (It's totally different when it's not in a diaper.)  What. A. Day.  


So, pray for us as we navigate the tail-end (pun intended) of this new skill.  How funny that I thought this would be easier than slapping a diaper on her!  I know it will eventually be more simple and I know we're less than a week in and I know I have to be patient.  I know it has to be done and I know (now) that normal kids take longer than three days to get 100% trained and I know she's actually doing great at it.  I KNOW.  Trust me, I've gone over this with myself and God several times today in my guilty mommy moments.  I was just hoping maybe she'd be an overachiever in this area.  I would totally trade her knowing a few letter sounds and rhyming words if she could have this down pat already.  I can't stand being trapped in the house and going out is a serious undertaking right now!


ANYWAY, I guess I should shift to today's list in hopes that my attitude will shift along with it.  Just be praying that by next week, her improvement in this department will be at the top of my list!


1.  Two of our favorite shows - The Marriage Ref and The Closer - returning.  Brian Regan was on the The Marriage Ref the other night and we nearly woke Audrey up we were laughing so hard.


2.  This invention:  http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=111261&  We went out and bought it tonight to use in the back of our SUV.  The disposable liners sold me.  We didn't get it because I'm a germaphobe (although I do feel better for that reason too), but because I can't take four trips to the bathroom in 45 minute simply because she's not comfortable enough to go.  That, and because there isn't always a convenient potty nearby.  (Really, Gymboree and Learning Express?  You don't think it appropriate to have public restrooms?!?!)


3.  The book The Help.  If you haven't read it, you should.  It was an eye-opening history lesson.  Now I just have to decide if I'm going to see the movie or leave it as is in my mind.


4.  The sweet sound of the rain outside to lull me to sleep tonight.  I LOVE a good rainstorm and have promised myself that during every one that falls during Audrey's nap these next few weeks, I'm going to try my hardest to lay down and catch a wink too.  I feel luxuriously spoiled just thinking about it. 


5.  Returning to my summer theme from a few weeks ago, here is another seasonal favorite:  Seals and Crofts "Summer Breeze"





Make sure you're all caught up on the posts below and the photo gallery.  I've been working hard at updating lately, so enjoy it while it lasts!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!