August 2013 Recap

Monday, September 9, 2013

I have no idea where August went.  It was by far the month I was dreading the most out of the summer because it was so huge and empty.  There was no fun birthday party to plan and enjoy like in June and no vacation with family like in July.  And yet, it somehow filled up and flew by like I'm noticing most months do these days.  

We started the first week with David finishing out a trip for work.  When he got back the kids spent the night at his parents while we went to the Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls concert.  Awesome show, eclectic crowd, great music.  After hearing them talk about how long some of their big-hit singles had been out, though, we decided we are officially getting old!

He took the following Friday off and the four of us splurged and went down to the Georgia Aquarium.  It was so much fun!  Both kids really enjoyed it and even sat still and entertained through the entire dolphin show.  We went out to lunch on the way home then came back to crash for naps.  When we got in bed that night, David and I talked about what a great day it was.  I told him that these stages of the kids' ages are still hard, specifically with Luke, but that it's also starting to be a teensy bit more fun.  Being able to take "big" family outings like that and watch them enjoy things for the first time gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, we are slowly inching our way out of the survival mode of babyhood.  

At the beginning of the month I was also slammed busy attempting to finish prep work for the twice-annual consignment sale I participate in.  As with the spring/summer one that I did back in February, this was a doozie because it was every piece of fall/winter clothing either child had ever worn.  From here on out, I'll only be selling the previous season's clothes, so it should be a LOT easier and faster.  Once I get maternity done, that is.  Haven't even touched that stash yet.

Anyway, on the second weekend, we dropped off all of that stuff at the sale and then headed to my childhood home and helped my Dad move.  Since Luke had never been to it and it had been so long since Audrey had gone, we actually drove out the very next day to take some pictures with the kids there and for me to say goodbye.  Because my Dad hadn't been living there since he got married in 2012 and we hadn't spent much time there for several years before that, it wasn't as difficult as I'd imagined it would be.  Frankly, I hadn't called the place my personal home since I moved out for college in 2001 at the age of 18.   I moved back in briefly for the summer after my freshman year, but after that, I was in apartments in Smyrna until I got married in 2004.  Having 12 years of separation from the place certainly made it easier to say my farewells.  Still, it's always sad knowing a place that holds so much history is no longer physically accessible.

The rest of the month was full of meetings and a training for my women's small group, back-to-school shopping for Audrey, a massive overdue repair and accompanying bill to the 4Runner (UGG), consignment sale pick-up (and subsequent sorting, trying to sell elsewhere, and donating), and then preparing for and taking the FIVE day no-kids trip you may have read about here.  Getting ready for and going on  that ate up most of the month, but it was so worth it!

We came back just in time for Audrey's Open House at her preschool, my mother-in-law's birthday, and the first Georgia Tech game of the season with friends.  With all of that and my training for a half marathon by running 3-4 times a week (Saturday mornings are my long runs, which are now up to 10-11 miles), I guess I realize now where the month of August went.  Here's to September and more memory-making good times...hopefully in cooler temps!

Here are a few of the funny quotes and stories of late:

  • Luke is talking up a storm these days, at least to the close few of us who can understand him.  It can be so frustrating for both parties if he's trying to communicate and you're just not getting it!  I feel like a game show winner when I finally crack a difficult code.  
  • One of Luke's favorite words is "under" and anytime you ask him where something is, you're guaranteed to get the response "under."
  • Audrey has learned to jump rope...sort of.  If two people are holding it and do a big countdown, she may get a double jump in there.  She loves it, though!
  • Luke is still obsessed with people staying hydrated and will carry them their drink and stand there until they have a sip.  I'm hoping this will transfer into a doctor or medical career and not a bartender.
  • Audrey is becoming a great reader and sounds things out almost everywhere we go.  I have to admit, though, that I'm a little sad David and I are coming to the end of our ability to spell out secret messages.  I guess pig latin will be the next step.
  • Luke loves feeding himself now and rarely allows us to help out.  The morning yogurt mess that occurs daily has become a regular part of our routine.  
  • One night David and Luke were acting crazy and being silly. I gave Audrey a "who knows" shrug. She responded with, "What in the weeping willows are they doing?!" I said, "I don't have a clue. But you, on the other hand, are doing a fabulous job at what you're supposed to be doing." She grinned and said, "Thanks! I get that from you."
  • Luke is learning to sit still for longer periods and look/listen to books.  Audrey loves "reading" (still mostly memorization or made-up stories) to him.  Incredibly sweet to witness.
  • Me: "Luke, if you don't share the bath toys with Audrey, play time will be over and you'll have to get out."
    AJ: "Ohhhhh, good one, Mom. Do it! Do it!"
New pictures are up in the gallery.  Check out both July and August by clicking the links below.  Enjoy and have a great September!

July:  https://picasaweb.google.com/112482511844513189984/July2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK6SiNTQ_PureA&feat=directlink

August:  https://picasaweb.google.com/112482511844513189984/August2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKOlsr3Z7KWrsAE&feat=directlink

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!