Trip to Baltimore

Friday, September 27, 2013

In lieu of a Thankful Thursday post this week, here is a summary of our recent trip to Baltimore.  Which I'm so thankful we got to do, so it works... :) 

Last Thursday, David, the kids, and I took a short trip to Baltimore to visit my maternal grandparents.  We decided to cash in some of David's frequent flier miles to fly while we only had to get three tickets (Luke, despite his size, can ride as an "infant in arms" until the age of two.)  

Of course, by the time we woke up early, drove to the airport in rush hour, parked the car offsite, rode the shuttle bus, checked in, went through security, rode the train, got on the plane, got off the plane, got our luggage, road another bus to the rental car facility, picked up our car, strapped in the rented car seats, and drove the 30+ minutes to their house, we were wondering exactly how much harder driving would have been!  Really, though, we know it was way easier to fly.  Security was no problem at all and we went through the "special assistance" line very quickly.  The kids did amazingly well on the flight, too.  Luke slept about 45 minutes then we ate a picnic lunch I'd packed.  Once we finished that, it was almost time to prepare for landing.  Audrey was entertained with crafts and some school work her teacher had sent (only because I'd been in for a room mom meeting the day before our trip and the teacher had asked if I'd like to take it to occupy AJ on the plane.  Not because she's in a pre-K that sends work home for absent students.)  

When we finally arrived at their house, we were tired but elated to see my grandparents.  My mom had gone up a few days before to help them prepare for our arrival.  I was so thankful she was there to help with the kids and keep their needs and schedule in mind.  We played outside in the cool fall weather and caught up about life, health, and happenings.  I listened carefully as my grandfather talked, every so often saying something I tried to commit to memory.  One of my favorite quotes came up when I made a joke about raising the kids as teenagers and what I'll do/say to them when they're that old.  "I don't know what you'll tell them," he said, "but if you don't give them any advice before that age, there's no point in trying once they get there."  Hearing the wisdom he shared in his gentle manner made me wish he lived closer so we could chat more often.  We soaked up the weather, ate dinner there, and then decided to head over to our hotel.  It had been a long day and early baths and bedtimes for all sounded wise.  

That night, everyone slept pretty well but me because I had terrible coughing fits that wouldn't let up (so, I guess David didn't get a great night's sleep either!)  Luke woke up about 4-5 times, but was easily consolable.  I think his pack n' play was too small and uncomfortable for a good night's sleep.  Thankfully, he never disturbed Audrey even though they were in the same room.  We attempted to sleep in as late as we could and then showered and went down for the hotel's continental breakfast.  Luke kept asking for Pop-pop the entire time we were eating.  He was as anxious as we were to get back over and see them again.

After getting everyone dressed and packing up a bag for the day, we left the hotel and drove to the cemetery mausoleum where my paternal grandparents' remains are.  I hate so much that they aren't around to see their great grandchildren, but I know that given the choice between being in heaven or being here, they'd rather stay where they are.  Even though this was not our first trip back since they'd passed away, it's still very difficult to be in Baltimore and not see them.  

We left there and drove back to my Nana and Pop-pop's place.  When we got there, my mom's brother Ron was there and we kicked off a morning of alternating catch-up and playing catch with the kids in the front yard.  Around noon, my mom's sister Jill and her husband Paul arrived and we ate lunch with everyone, but not before taking a group picture or two.  I am not ashamed to use food as a manipulation to get people to cooperate for pictures!  After eating, David took Luke back to the hotel for a nap and Audrey got to lay down on my grandparents' huge bed and fell asleep right away.  

Once everyone woke up and had a snack, my mom's other brother Jim arrived.  His 19 year old son, my cousin Dwayne, came by after work and was so good interacting with the kids.  I walked outside with him to check out his new Nissan Pathfinder and talk about his electrician's schooling and work.  The kids enjoyed a little arts and crafts time with Uncle Paul, who is a very talented artist, before we all had a big pizza "party" (anytime we eat pizza with a large group of people, Audrey deems it a "pizza party".)  It was a full, full day of seeing sweet faces I hadn't seen in years and hearing voices and stories I etched in my mind.  We left tired, but so thankful for the time.  

After a much better night's sleep, we had another good continental breakfast and then packed up our stuff and checked out of the hotel.  We drove over to their house and gave the kids a snack.  Jill's son, my cousin Brandon, made the trek up to see us and got there around 11am.  It had been at least six years since I'd seen him and it was tough to believe this handsome grown man was the same little kid I spent so many summer trips playing with.  I'm sure he thought it equally strange to see me with two kids.  I mean, how could a pre-teen who, during one such visit, irresponsibly dropped her walkman into the pond (WITH the Ace of Base tape inside, no less), turn into a grown woman who can manage to take care of tiny humans?  I must admit, I'm still trying to figure that out myself.  

Anyway, we attempted to savor each last minute with everyone.  David took Luke onto my grandfather's sun porch and let him snooze a little while Audrey read and colored with Aunt Jill.  Watching and listening to them I realized that both David and I have a rich heritage of really great educators and teachers (whether in spirit or professionally) in our families.  I'm grateful for their examples to follow.  

Before we knew it, it was time to wake up Luke and say our goodbyes.  We attempted a couple more pictures and loaded the car, trying to stretch out each minute while trying not to be late.  No one says it, but when you're hugging your nearly-90 year old grandparents goodbye, there is a pain and a hesitance about the possible finality that pulls at your heart so badly you can physically feel it.  We buckled the kids in the car and I turned around for one last glimpse.  We drove away waving big waves and I stared out the window trying not to let the kids hear the sniffles from my crying.  

The clouds were darkening and growing bigger as we got nearer to the airport.  We pulled off to fill up the rental car with gas and both kids were asleep in the backseat before we got back on the road. When we arrived at the rental car facility, we parked in an upper lot and let them sleep another few minutes.  David kept checking the flight status and, despite the plane being delayed coming from Atlanta, our departure flight was listed as on time.  The kids reluctantly woke up after much prompting and we unloaded all of our stuff, turned in the car, and schlepped our way to the shuttle bus.  We checked in and went through security without any issues.  We let the kids run around an empty gate area and kept obsessively checking the flight status.  Sure enough, they finally admitted defeat and posted a ten minute delay.  Though I haven't done nearly as much traveling as David, I do know that no flight I've ever been on has actually taken off within the first listed delayed time.  We opted to go ahead and grab an early dinner so the kids wouldn't be starving on top of being bored and confined.  

Sure enough, we were supposed to take off at 5:45pm, but it was nearly 7:00pm by the time we got in the air.  I was so grateful we'd made the call to feed the kids because that would've meant they would have waited until 7:3opm or later to eat.  It did make it more difficult to pass the time in the air, though, and Audrey was extraordinarily whiney.  We crafted, drew, and then pulled out David's phone for the no-fail games.  Unfortunately, it was super loud back in the back where we were, so the "kid-safe" headphones I got her weren't cutting it because they only turn up so high.  She managed with the in-ear pair we had and settled down while Luke and I played "How many different things can you do with silly putty?"  (Not very many, by the way.)  I pulled out stickers, a small dollar store chalkboard and eraser, books, pipe cleaners, etc. and worked hard at keeping him still and quiet.  We were in the back with several other families with small children, so I was thankful for that.  The woman behind us had three kids, one that looked to be about six, one that was around Audrey's age, and one tiny baby that couldn't have been more than a month old.  I must have prayed for that poor woman a dozen times on our flight.  I can't even imagine the stress.  

Finally, we got to Atlanta and taxied to our gate.  Nearly the last ones off, we pushed through the crowds to the elevator...and then back up to another elevator that went where we were trying to go...and got on the train to baggage claim.  The kids were amazing through all of this.  Despite it being nearly 9pm, they quietly waited while we got our luggage (which thankfully all made it because this Momma would've gotten U-G-L-Y and mad as a hornet it if they had lost our luggage again!)  We boarded the shuttle bus, got to our van, and turned on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in a desperate attempt to keep them awake on the ride home.  Luke made it until about 9:30 before he passed out, but Audrey stayed up.  As we pulled into our driveway, I whispered a prayer of thanks to God for keeping us all safe, especially in the rain in both cities.  We changed Luke into pajamas without him hardly waking and put him straight down.  Audrey whined and cried her way into bed and was asleep within 2.5 seconds.  

Sinking into our bed mere minutes later, I sighed and acknowledged that the trip was over.  Another visit to Baltimore - my 15th one, at least - was in the books.  

Part of me wishes we had stayed one more day but a bigger part of me knows full well that if we had, I would've been wishing we had stayed one less day.  I'm a big believer that it's always better to leave someone or some place wanting more rather than overstaying and leaving on a sour note.  So, we'll say it was the perfect amount of time for a whirlwind visit.  And whirlwind it was for sure.  My mom, two grandparents, two cousins, one aunt, three uncles, and numerous sights, both familiar and new, all crammed in to two and a half days.  The memories we made were priceless and the blessing I know it was to my grandparents is a blessing for me.  I hope they're recovering well from all of the excitement and noise but something tells me they wouldn't have missed it for the world.  I know we sure wouldn't.  

I'll post pictures soon and let you know when I do.  Have a great weekend!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!