Hold His Hand

Friday, September 13, 2013

Dear Future Mrs. Luke Sinyard,

I need to let you in on a little secret.  I have a feeling this may be one of the keys to you having a successful marriage one day, so I am burdened to pass it on.  Sure, I'm his Mama and he's only 18 months old, but a Mama knows such things, and often well in advance.

Are you ready for this?  Okay, here it goes:  Luke loooooooves to hold hands.

I first noticed it when he was about nine or ten months old.  As I would rock him to sleep, he'd reach around his back to where one of my arms cradled him and pull my hand up to his chest or belly so he could grip my fingers tight.  Later, it dawned on me to try this act of comfort in various other situations.  Now when he gets impatient or cranky (and I do so hope he grows out of that a bit by the time you're in the picture), I say, "Do you want to hold Mama's hand?" and without fail he responds with an emphatic, "Yes" and calms down almost immediately.

So we hold hands a lot.  We hold hands as he sits in the buggy at the grocery store.  We hold hands as he walks along new paths in our neighborhood.  We occasionally hold hands at a meal.  Sometimes my arm falls asleep and my shoulder aches as I reach around to hold his hand in the car seat.  It may not always be hygienic or easy, but it is what he wants in that moment and I am happy to oblige.  The feeling of those chubby fingers in mine is more precious than I can describe.  But I know one day he won't want to hold his mother's hand.  I know there will come a time when it will be your hand he prefers in his.  

When that time comes, will you promise to step in for me?  Will you hold his hand when he's happy and joyful?  Will you try to reach out when he's mad or cranky?  When he's tired from a long day of work, will you place your hand on top of his to let him know you appreciate him?  It won't always be easy.  You won't always feel like making the effort.  But I assure you it will always make him happy to know he's got your hand to hold.    

I'm praying for you and your hands today, that they may one day join my son's in work & play, in prayer & service, in raising a family & making a home.

Love,

Your Future Mother-in-Law

P.S.  Have him call me, would you?  It's probably been awhile.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!