July - December 2020 Social Media Posts

Friday, January 28, 2022

July 8, 2020:

My feed is full of posts from worried and frustrated parents and my phone has been blowing up with texts from friends. I get it. This is an impossibly difficult decision that we have to make.
So I wanted to offer some encouragement this morning:
Our kids will be okay.
I have had the privilege of serving at my kids' school for six years and have gotten to know the teachers and staff there very well. My mom was a teacher, David's mom was a teacher, we have a lot of educators on both sides of the family, and some of my very closest friends are/were teachers.
There is a lot of uncertainty and debate right now (and boy am I OVER it). But I do know this: the teachers WILL rise to the challenge. Whether you decide in-person or digital, they are going to come through like it's their JOB...because it is. They did not enter the profession for the fame or fortune, they did it because they have a passion to love on and educate these kids. And they will. No matter what mandates are handed down to them. I realize this is not true for every teacher everywhere, but in my experience, I have yet to meet one that is not about to absolutely crush this school year.
So make the best decision based on your individual child and your family's circumstances, knowing that you are not signing a contract and you can change your mind. Then breathe.
Our kids will be okay.
Lastly, I will gently remind you that little ears are listening (or big ears, depending on their ages). More than anything, your kids are looking to you to set the tone for the year ahead. Of course you should speak honestly about what things may look like at an age-appropriate level, but if they are only hearing your negative bemoaning of what lies ahead, their outlook and attitude will follow suit. So sell, baby, sell! They've had enough on their kid-size plates these past few months to have to take on anything but the usual school jitters.
As parents we do the best we can and we pray for God's grace to fill in the gaps. And He will.
It’s certainly not going to be an easy year, but our kids WILL be okay.

July 16, 2020:

We were supposed to be exploring San Francisco and Yosemite this week. Our plan B was a short getaway to St. Simons that turned out to be the most 2020-esque trip ever.
Just a few hours into our first afternoon there, a jellyfish got a hold of Luke something fierce. We doctored him up and ended up having a wonderful second day…until Audrey got “glutened” from dinner and spent the second evening vomiting. We canceled our kayaking plans and spent the third and final day taking short outings to see a few nearby things. It was so hot we couldn't last long. We (carefully) drove back yesterday and made it home unscathed.
So incredibly apropos for this year, right?! But NOT because it was completely awful…because there were some really special things in the midst of the challenges. And the sweet moments were all the more meaningful and appreciated.
We have walked through some sadness over here on top of the regular ol' current chaos of our world. David lost two grandparents between March and May (non-Covid related) and we have grieved both big and small losses. But there has also been such good interspersed, too. During this time the kids have developed new skills and independence and we’ve gotten more family time and grown closer together.
It is a daily struggle for me to keep a healthy perspective and choose joy. Most of the time I don’t know whether we’re making the right decisions in the midst of this madness. BUT, if I cling to the Truth that I DO know (James 1:5, Romans 8:28, Ephesians 2:8, to name a few), it makes all that I don’t know a lot more manageable. So here’s to looking for and soaking up the beauty in the muck and continuing to rely on and rest in a God who is good all the time. “Lord, I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:24









August 7, 2020:
Middle school, here she comes! (Or rather, home she’ll stay, but you get it...) Thankful she at least got to meet her teachers in person at open house today. So grateful for how hard they’re all working to make the best out of this situation!



September 1, 2020:

Tomorrow this cutie starts school in person and I’m going to miss him something fierce. This afternoon he helped me load up and then unload nearly 500 lbs of stone for an upcoming project, adding to a long list of things we have taken on as a family these past five and a half months. It hasn’t always been easy or fun, but we’ve been healthy and we’ve been TOGETHER. And for that I’m so grateful.
But in the morning, this baby of the family will be the first to step out of our home and back into some normalcy. He’ll be at a school we know, love, and trust with teachers that we know, love, and trust. For him and for now, it’s the right call. (I think.) But my thoughts still race and my heart still hurts.
Say a prayer for the parents, teachers, and students in your life. I don’t know a single one that is not struggling to some degree over these impossible decisions we’re having to make. We don’t need judgement or opinions. But we sure could use some prayers.
And if anyone wants to fill in for my sidekick and help unload more stone, let me know.



September 2, 2020:

“2nd 1st Day of 3rd Grade” He was so excited, but made sure we knew he would “miss us TONS.”
Same here, Bubba. Praying for it to be a great day for all those starting back in person!


October 19, 2020:

She’s been rocking the digital learning, but as an academic who loves school, it was time to get her back in a classroom. I am thankful for the extra time we got to spend together, especially when this age usually means my influence shrinks. My mama heart is struggling, but for us and for now, it’s the right thing (I think?!)
Praying for my best girl to shine bright and for middle school to please be kind to her tender spirit.



October 22, 2020:

And now it’s time to get back to work making an impact in the areas we can control: donate food to the co-op, thank a teacher/police officer/healthcare worker, have meaningful conversations with your kids, give money or volunteer your time to a charity doing worthy things. Vote. And then stop wringing your hands or shouting your stance and get back to work.

October 26, 2020:

PTA Legacy Project for the 5th Grade Class of 2020. Covid caused a bit of a delay, but we finally got it done! Each homeroom voted on their favorite book to stock it with and a duplicate copy was also purchased to donate to the GCPS Book Mobile.
Thank you to the amazing David Robinson for donating his time and talent to build it for us!




October 31, 2020:

Happy Halloween! Any other year we would’ve taken tonight for granted, but not in 2020. So thankful we got to go!




November 2, 2020:

I found this note tucked in the bottom of a bag of co-op donations. I wish I knew the sweet baby that wrote it so I could explain how very kind and generous they are and the difference they made by showing up and giving what they could. I have to think the families on the receiving end feel like this child made an impact!
We totaled over 1,000 items, y’all. In the midst of a pandemic, in the same week as a dang tropical storm that meant two days of digital-only learning. Our school gave over 1,000 items. I’m so grateful for and proud of our Riverside Rockets!



November 14, 2020:

In December 2019, we set a goal to run four 5k races together as a family in 2020...20k for 2020. This morning we completed our 4th.



December 17, 2020:

This year’s class parties definitely looked different than the previous 13 that I’ve done. It took some serious creativity to put together a prepackaged, Covid-friendly celebration and I desperately missed being with all the kids and teachers. Still, I’m thankful they got to celebrate and enjoy one of the best days of the school year. (I’m also grateful @lindsndavis and I got to work together again from afar!
You’re the best
! )





December 23, 2020:

We missed our traditional Santa visit at the beginning of the month due to quarantine, but the kids humored me and dressed up for pics with this version today.



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!