June - December 2019 Social Media Posts

Friday, January 28, 2022

June 20, 2019:


It’s been a wonderful day celebrating a decade of Audrey. I can’t even begin to share the lessons this girl has taught me or the joy she has brought our family these last ten years. We are so proud of her and the amazing person she is becoming.
 
Motherhood is indeed a holy privilege. Ten years in and I’m still not sure I’m doing a lick of it right. But I will never stop trying my best and praying for God’s grace to fill in the gaps. She is so worth it and He is so capable.
 
Happy Birthday, Sugar. Thank you for giving me the precious title of “Mama.” Here’s to another decade of growth for both of us.






July 9, 2019:


I've had several conversations recently where I've tried to articulate what these last few years of parenting have been like. When I heard this on a podcast yesterday, it immediately struck a chord and I just had to share:
 
“I’m fresh out of that beginning part of motherhood where you’re just trying to survive. You’re just trying to make sure your kid is alive, they’re fed, they have everything that they need. But at some point, the mode of motherhood has to shift away from just surviving and toward 'what is my PROACTIVE approach to raising this person?' As they grow, things get complicated. Schedules…school…everything that comes can be an overwhelming sea of stuff where you just continue to survive all the way to middle school. Then you get to middle school and they stop talking to you and their door shuts. I have talked to so many parents at parent-teacher conferences asking 'why is my sweet daughter not talking to me anymore?!' If you have not laid the groundwork ahead of time for conversations…if your whole approach up to this point was just trying to survive and get through your days…you’re going to wake up when they’re 12, 13, 14 and realize you have a gap in your relationship that has been filled by a lot of other things but not by the tools necessary to help her get through that struggle of a time. As soon as you get your bearings [from early motherhood], the shift has to happen to intentional parenting all the time. And it’s exhausting. IT'S EXHAUSTING. But we’re wired to do it.” - Erin Weidemann on the Treasured Podcast with Courtney DeFeo
YES. It is often exhausting...and sometimes terrifying. There are days I would give anything to go back to issues like sleep schedules and temper tantrums (...but not potty training. GAH that was awful.) But the joy that comes from connecting at these older stages is just as precious and just as sweet. Maybe even more so, because it's harder won. I know my influence is slowly shrinking in their worlds, but I pray God gives me the endurance and the wisdom to keep at it.




July 17, 2019:

In the past two weeks, this girl had her ears pierced, got new glasses, and got her braces off. Look out fifth grade, we are coming for you! 




July 31, 2019:

Today marks 15 years of marriage for us. Back in May, we celebrated early and got to take a once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii. We experienced so much beauty and had some wonderful adventures.
But that’s not real life. Today is real life.
 
Today we will be attending open house at the kids’ school. We’ll be shuttling them and their supplies to their new classes, calming their nerves, and filling out endless forms while juggling our volunteer and work responsibilities. There will be rushed meals and forgotten errands and probably a passive-aggressive comment about whose turn it is for what chore. I’ll annoy him and he’ll forget something and the kids will interrupt at least a dozen attempted conversations.

But I know this much: We couldn’t do what we do without each other. I couldn’t wear the hats I wear without him and he couldn’t do the job he does without me. And for sure neither of us could do any of it without God’s grace and guidance.
 
I am so very thankful for you, David Sinyard. Fifteen years in and you are still my favorite. There is no one else with whom I’d rather do this ordinary day-to-day life and I love you!


August 27, 2019:

Tried a new sport tonight. She crushed it (and the three boys in her group.) This girl of mine is so much stronger than she realizes in so many different ways.








September 1, 2019:

Braves win!




September 22, 2019:

Don’t know what I’d do without her.  6 more days!!! #timbertrek5k www.timbertrek5k.org



September 29, 2019:

Yesterday we raised over $5,000 for our 5th and final Timber Trek. 5k for a little neighborhood 5k that began in 2015.  To some that may not seem like a lot, but it feels like $500,000 to this girl!
 
It started with a push from God. A call for me to step up and do something to raise money for and awareness of organizations in our community that were doing hard, worthy work in His name. I’m embarrassed to say that it took me awhile to say yes, but once I did, I was all in.

And year after year, God proved faithful. Even when I doubted. Even when I was met with opposition. Even when it felt like it was all too much for too little. God showed up and showed off. Every. Single. Time. And, as is always the case when we decide to obey Him, I was the one that was changed for the better. The lessons I have learned, the people I have met, the personal goals I have seen achieved, the community spirit I have witnessed, and most of all, the difference the organizations get to make with the dollars given…all of it was worth every drop of sweat and tears put in.

This race has been a part of our family’s culture and DNA for five years, but it’s time to move on. I don’t know what’s next, but you can bet that I’ll rope you in if I can. 

If you ever participated in one of the races, cheered on someone who did, gave a dollar, volunteered an hour, or said a prayer for the event: Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your support means the world to me and you have made a difference in the lives of hundreds of people.

















October 4, 2019:

Luke’s field trip to the Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center today.







October 31, 2019:
Happy Halloween from Laura Ingalls Wilder and Ronald Acuna Jr.! 







November 8, 2019:

Over 2,000 items donated for the North Gwinnett Co-Op. (That’s 500+ more than last year!) Way to go, Rockets!!!  As for whether the boys or the girls won bragging rights for the next year... You’ll just have to wait and ask your kiddo when they get home today!





November 10, 2019:

Reflections Program Reception. First place in the county for literature...second year in a row! 






December 3, 2019:

I almost didn’t email the Co-Op about their angel tree program. We’ve never done it before and I wasn’t sure I wanted to add something else to my already-full plate. I reasoned we were doing enough and there would be plenty of others to step up. But I went for it anyway.

What came back brought me to tears. One of our assigned kids is named Audrey. Similar in age, same size clothes, and her favorite color is pink. And the gift ideas she requested? Books, journals, stationary, and crafts. If you know my girl, you know there is no one more suited to handle this shopping list.
 
God is in the details, y’all. The Creator of the Universe cares that a little girl in our county named Audrey is perfectly shopped for and lavished on this holiday season.
 
If you’re on the fence about doing something kind, especially on this “Giving Tuesday”, DO IT. Even if it means something else comes off your list. (Gift cards and store-bought cookies never hurt anybody.) Make time to listen for and lean into those nudges this season.


December 7, 2019:

Dressed up for David’s company party tonight. We made it to 10:30pm! 





December 21, 2019:

If you need a little Christmas spirit boost, I highly recommend wrapping presents with a seven year old. Favorite quotes: “Mama, I’m not like an expert at spy stuff or anything, but when you told Audrey to stay upstairs, you kinda gave it away that we were up to something.” “Why use a few small pieces of tape when you can use one rrreeeaaallllyyy long one?!” “How do you do that bow thing?....Oh. Nah.” 




December 31, 2019:

Like many others are posting, we’ve been sick for the better part of our winter break (including Luke waking up on Christmas morning with a fever) BUT, we’re on the mend, we’re together, and we’re ready for a new decade of adventures! God bless you and your families and may this next year be your best yet!




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!