June - December 2018 Social Media Posts

Sunday, January 23, 2022

June 13, 2018:

Wrapping up a four hour appointment at the allergist. The verdict: He is highly allergic to just about every tree and grass on the planet. And cats. He was such a trooper though. He had every nurse and doctor bragging on his bravery and patience!


June 20, 2018:

She's nine today. Nine. Halfway through her at-home years. My only solace to this heartbreaking fact is seeing what an incredibly strong, hilarious, smart, and kind young woman she is becoming. Nothing has driven me to my knees and drawn me closer to God more than parenting, especially with this one. As I've said before, it's rarely easy, but it's always worth it. I am so very grateful that this sweet girl gave me my favorite title of "Mommy".
Happy Birthday, Sugar. I love you more than you will ever know!




July 25, 2018:

I think we've found ourselves a new tradition: Christmas in July! Highly recommend it if you're running low on ideas/energy/money to entertain the kids during these final dog days of summer. It can be as simple (music and movies) or as complex (crafts, games, baking, making homemade gifts) as you want to make it. (Just stay off Pinterest!)






August 6, 2018

Welp, I was doing fine holding it together this morning until I saw all the mamas running errands with their little ones. I bit my tongue and tightened my grip on the shopping cart to avoid being the weirdo patting the babies and telling the mamas to "enjoy every moment. It goes so fast." I well remember how long and hard those days were. Every moment does not need to be enjoyed. The demands and the noise and the needs seem endless.
But the truth is, they aren't. There WILL come an end to the nonstop "whys" and the sticky hand holding and the rushing home for nap time because it is your one shot at a moment's peace (or a solo bathroom break) during the day.
There will come a day in the not-too-distant future when you check your watch every twenty minutes trying to remember where they are in their schedule. You'll pray that they are showing God's love to others and doing their best. You'll desperately ask Him to put teachers and kids in their path that will be kind and will notice them and their needs (which they get a lot less vocal about). You'll worry about whether this child is going to be teased for this or that child is going to feel left out for that.
The independence is exciting for them and it's terrifying for you, but it's inevitable for everyone.
So do me a favor, those of you with littles still at home. Bemoan the diaper changing and the tantrums, yes, but when the chance comes, snuggle them a few extra minutes today. You won't regret it. Because I hate to say it almost as much as I hated hearing it back then, but it's absolutely true: it goes so fast.





August 6, 2018:

We're an hour and thirty minutes into the recap of his day. He had to get paper to draw me a diagram of the path he takes to get his water bottle. May he always share so much with his Mama.




September 22, 2018

I don't enjoy the fundraising side of it. And I feel bad nagging people to sign up. The checklists get overwhelming sometimes. But rallying people together for a fun event? Raising support for an organization that shows others the love of Christ? Seeing the community that gets built, the personal fitness goals that are achieved, and the servant leadership lessons that the kids learn? I'm here for that. All the livelong day. (And getting to use a megaphone to boss people around ain't too bad either.) Thank you to every participant, volunteer, and sponsor that made today possible. Y'all are the best and I am so grateful for you!



October 2, 2018:
Belated pic from Luke's Farm Day last week and two recent gems from him that I have to share:
- "(Girl's name in his class) says she's my girlfriend, but I don't want to be her boyfriend. Any tips on how to separate myself from that situation?"
- (We've been working on taking my first "no" as a final answer and not repeatedly asking) Luke: "Soooo, just to clarify...because you know how my memory is...did you say we could have some gum or not?"
Oh that boy. He definitely keeps us laughing!



October 7, 2018
Packing and delivering meals with our small group this afternoon at Meals by Grace as part of Live Sent Sunday.

November 11, 2018

Veteran’s Day Lunch with Grandpa (my dad) today. So thankful for his service and that of both of my grandfathers (WWII) and my cousin (currently serving). Take a minute to thank a vet and pray for our servicemen and women today.








December 13, 2017



PTA groups often get a bad rap. So many television shows and movies depict the women involved in them as overdramatic helicopter moms who have nothing better to do with their time than hand down allergy policies and make other parents miserable. EYE ROLL.
I can’t speak for all groups everywhere, but I can speak for this one. This Board, along with the administration pictured with them, work their tails off. Many of these ladies used to have big careers in industries like banking, hospitality, healthcare, and education that they put on hold to give of their time and talents…for free. Many are still holding down such jobs while also serving the school in major capacities.
Whether currently working outside of the home or not, ALL of them have their hands in about a million different roles in their neighborhoods, churches, and other non-profit organizations. And there are so many volunteers not on this Board that do the same thing week after week. Along with the teachers, they are the backbone of the communities they serve.
Day in and day out, they are helping kids by enhancing classroom experiences, boosting morale by encouraging and pampering the staff, and raising money to buy needed equipment and fund programs that educate the whole child in ways that would not otherwise be possible.
I can’t speak for all PTA moms everywhere, but this group? It is full of hardworking, off-the-chart talented volunteers that I am better for knowing and proud to serve with. (And I promise you there’s not a bored housewife among us.)

December 14, 2018:

Family room campout complete with a candy buffet and a Christmas movie marathon. My kind of camping. (We’ll see if Mom and Dad make it without caving and going upstairs to a real bed.)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!