Weekend Review

Monday, August 24, 2009

I’ve been working on a post for several days now, but have decided to postpone (ha, get it?!) publishing it for a little longer. SO, here is a little weekend review to tide you over:

On Saturday Audrey took some great naps for us, so we got a lot done. I cleaned the entire upstairs for the first time in two months (don’t worry – it’s been cleaned since then thanks to the maid service my in-laws treated us to!) In fact, the last time I cleaned it that well was the night/day I was in labor! To be honest, I enjoyed doing it myself again. I have no doubt that insanity has passed, though, and the next time it’s due I’ll dread it as usual. David got some yard work done and then we went out for a stroll around the park, some ice cream, and a trip to the library. We came home and then went back out to Publix, where, might I add, shopping is indeed a pleasure. I know I save more at Kroger, but I do so prefer Publix. Kind of similar to how Target is better than Wal-Mart even if it’s slightly more expensive. Somehow not running into barefoot screaming children around every corner makes the experience more enjoyable. (“Seriously, WHERE are your parents and WHY aren’t they parenting you?!”)

On Sunday we went to church for the first time in ages. We took Audrey with us to our small group and then left afterwards. The doctor recommended and we wholeheartedly agreed to wait until she was at least eight weeks old before putting her in a public nursery. Even though she just turned nine weeks on Saturday, she has not yet gotten her first round of immunizations. She’ll get those this week, which I know will require a blog update! Even after those, it’ll probably be another couple of weeks before I can bring myself to leave her. Some women can handle dropping their babies off at a much younger age, but I am not one of them. I do not judge that decision, and I hope that people don’t judge ours (though I really don’t care to be honest. Trying not to comparison-parent!) As long as she makes it in there before she is old enough for youth group, I’ll consider it a success.

Who knows when we’ll make it to a service again. She typically eats between 11:00 and 11:30 (our service starts at 11) and she usually takes 30 minutes to eat plus the time it takes me to get myself situated before and after. Throw in a diaper change and it’s easily a 45 minute ordeal. So, instead of going to the service for 15 minutes, we’re likely just going to make it to small group for awhile. And yes, I could pump and send her with a bottle. But do you want to know the dirty little secret that few people tell you when you’re pregnant? Even if you leave them with a bottle, you still have to pump relatively close to the time the baby eats. Otherwise, you can easily screw up your milk supply. At least, this is the case for me because I don’t exclusively pump. And, because I do it so infrequently, it takes me around twenty minutes to get the amount needed. Add the time it takes to clean and put away bottles and you’re up to about thirty minutes. Bottom line: It’s really not any more convenient nor does it save any time. It may extend my/our outings by about thirty minutes and allow David/others to take part in feeding her, but those are the only pros I’ve discovered so far.

Anyway, after we got home and fed Audrey, David’s parents came over and watched her while he and I went out for a little while. We went to lunch at O’Charley’s, FedEx Office (which I cannot quit calling Kinko’s) to pick up something David dropped off for work, Sam’s Club, and then walked enough of a lap around the park to get to a swing and sit down. We talked and enjoyed the cool(er) temps and breeze before heading back home to Audrey and, you guessed it, the dadgum pump.

Sunday night we managed to bathe Audrey, cook dinner, do laundry, and straighten up the downstairs before calling it quits and crashing in front of the TV after we put her down at 9:30. My hope is to finish cleaning the downstairs this afternoon so I can have the whole house clean at once, but we’ll see how well she naps/tolerates the Bjorn carrier while I sweep and vacuum!

I hope y’all have a good week! Check back for an update after the dreaded immunizations on Wednesday. And be sure to look at the new pictures in our gallery, including her two month perspective shots. You'll see that I also created an album just for those monthly perspective pictures so you can easily compare and see how quickly our baby girl is growing. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. The first time we left Abby in the nursery, Allen had to hold the pager. He kept fiddling with it, looking at the display every 5 seconds. After he dropped it the third time during the service, I made him quit. We couldn't decide who would answer the page - you know, the one we desperately wanted to get, yet desperately didn't. Truth is, if that thing went off (it never has), we'd both probably be knocking over old ladies and elbowing each other out of the way to get to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Thank you Thank you....you nailed it on the head how I feel about Kroger and Walmart. I was shaking my head in agreement with you on the post.

    Rebecca O'Kelley

    ReplyDelete