Thankful Thursday

Thursday, December 10, 2009

We've been busy around here this week! On Monday, I got Audrey all dolled up and took her to see Santa. David met us at the mall on his lunch break so he could witness this important first. There was only one person in line in front of us, but it still took longer than I expected. They let you choose three poses on their tiny computer screen, which is time consuming, and the lady working there was not all that computer savvy. We finally got Audrey settled on his lap and she didn't cry a bit. In fact, I had her smiling a great smile, looking right at the camera. I turned around and said "Did you get it?!" to which they replied "No. Our camera jammed." Seriously?! SO, by the time they got it rebooted, she was over the experience. We did get a couple more smiles, but they weren't looking straight ahead. Oh well. It's not like we were going to get an 11x20 of her and Santa for above the mantel.

That afternoon and Tuesday morning I got some Christmas shopping done. I cannot stand having this much to do so close to Christmas. Normally, I'd be 99.9% finished and have most of it wrapped. Instead, I'm stressing out about what to get those relatives who are impossible to shop for. (You know who you are.) I keep waiting for a grand epiphany, knowing that I'm just going to buy them that item I thought of in August. Next year, I'm going to save myself the trouble and settle early.

What's even worse than the last minute-ness is the cluelessness. I'm left to wander around big manly stores such as Bass Pro and track down salesmen who see dollar signs as I walk towards them. The conversation usually goes something like this:

Me: "Do you have a thing-a-majig for a whatchamacallit?"
Them (stifling a laugh): "A thing-a-majig? You mean a thing-a-maBOB?" "
Me (blushing and trying to figure out some way to work into the conversation that I have a college degree): "Right. a thing-a-mabob. That's what I said. I'll take two please."

Oh well. Hopefully the men will appreciate that part of their gift is my pride.

Later that afternoon, Audrey sat up on her own for ten minutes and played. That's right, we have a big girl sitter on our hands. She's been able to do a little bit unsupported without toppling over for a couple of weeks, but Tuesday was the official going-in-the-baby-book day.

On Wednesday, we had a sweet friend come over and take some photos of Audrey. I say "some." I had the poor baby change outfits four times and us twice. My friend was here for over an hour and a half. It was quite an ordeal. She may never offer to come back! David came home at lunch to jump in a few. I wanted some Christmas ones, but also some "regular" ones for her 6 month shots. I cannot wait to see the results!

This morning I got up to make a dish for David's company luncheon and drop it off hot. I know what you're thinking: I'm an amazing wife. Good thing you don't know that's the first time I've cooked all week. Unless you count making boxed mac and cheese and tossing a salad to go with a deli-made rotisserie chicken. In my defense, he has worked late every night this week so it's hard to plan dinner for those evenings.

After our drop-off, Audrey and I went to the mall AGAIN to grab a few more gifts. We got a lot accomplished. I now only have about 5-6 more things to buy. The problem is, I only know what 2-3 of them are!

Anyway, we'll get there. This time next week I'm sure I'll be happy to report how finished I am! Until then, here is this week's list:

1. Pretty Christmas dresses and the beautiful baby girl that goes in them. (And the husband that doesn't mind me buying those pretty Christmas dresses.) She hardly complained at all, though I know those tights cannot be comfortable!

2. Sweet, talented photographer friends. In addition to our friend Camille, who did my maternity shots, Audrey's newborn shots, and does our Christmas cards, our friend Ally is a wonderful photographer willing to endure our craziness for the sake of gaining some experience. Visit her website at www.thejourneybyally.com and check back here soon to see more of her amazing work!

3. Consistent SLEEP. I've held off on this update just in case it was a fluke, but Audrey has been sleeping 11-12 hours straight through the night for the past two weeks or so. Out of nowhere, she did it four nights in a row. On the fifth night, she woke up twice, but by that point she had already proven to me she didn't need to eat to get through, so we settled her back down without feeding her and it's been blissful sleep ever since. Praise the Lord and pray it continues!

4. Alabama's Christmas CD. Yes, it's old and corny, but it's what I grew up listening to and I love it. How can you go wrong with a CD that has a song about a Christmas bear (named Thistlehair, no less!) Good stuff.

5. Santa cokes. I had one today because it's Christmastime and it's required. It was my first regular non-caffeine free coke in 8ish months and it tasted like syrup it was so sweet!

Enjoy your Friday and your weekend!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!