Thankful Thursday

Thursday, April 28, 2011

I've been meaning to write a post about our Easter weekend and haven't had a chance yet (must be all the picture posting and heaven explaining...see previous posts), so look for it tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is this week's list:


1.  My brother Kevin, whose birthday is tomorrow.  He's one of the most thoughtful guys I know.  I hope I'm not embarrassing him, but one of my favorite examples/memories of his sweet spirit actually happened just a few years ago.  My grandfather had just passed away and I'd flown to Florida with my Dad to help him and my grandmother make arrangements and pack up before we flew to Baltimore for the funeral. My dad, brothers, and sisters-in-law arrived in Baltimore a day after my grandmother and I and then David came a day after them, which also happened to be Valentine's Day.  As I was headed out the door to pick up him at the airport, Kevin handed me a card.  It was a blank Valentine's Day card for David that he'd chosen for me to give him.  In the midst of everything, he'd taken the time and effort to choose a card on my behalf so that I would have something to give my husband on Valentine's Day.  In that and a million other instances, I was so grateful God made us siblings.  Happy Birthday, Kevin!  We love you!


2.  Safety in storms.  There has been some serious crazy weather around us lately, a lot of which has happened in the middle of the night.  I'm thankful my God doesn't sleep, nor does He even take His eyes off of us.  Please join me in praying for those affected and if you know someone (or even know someone who knows someone who knows OF someone) think about some way you can help...and then ACT on it.


3.  Being able to adjust the thermostat.  As a child, I was not allowed to adjust the temperature in the house.  If you were cold, you put on more clothes or got a blanket.  If you were hot, you took off clothes or went to the pool.  Now that I'm a parent, I completely understand and agree with the "you don't pay the bills, so you don't get a say" policy.  However, I LOVE that I now get a say.  And, unlike some people (though not my parents that I recall), I don't go by the calendar.  I've never understood the mentality of not cutting the air conditioning/heat on until X date.   If it reaches 85 in April like it has this week, the air comes on.  If it dips down to the 40s like it will tonight, the heat comes on.  It sure is good to have control of that little box.  


4.  A more normal work schedule for David and the less stressed/tired/anxious that we all are this week.  We've had some wonderful family together lately and I'm super grateful for it.  Audrey is still adding "Daddy" to the end of of every sentence and question, though, as she just can't get enough of him right now.  She wants to make sure he soaks it all up and isn't going anywhere! ("See me, Daddy?"  "See it, Daddy?" "It's Audrey's bear, Daddy!", "My cup is pink, Daddy!" etc. etc. etc.)  Please do keep praying for us, though, as this is just a temporary respite and it's going to get busy again the next two weeks.


5.  Tonight's pick is "Take It Easy" by the Eagles, a favorite band around our house.  Many a road trip has been more thoroughly enjoyed with a blasting of their songs and a loud, off-key attempt at singing along.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!