Letter to My Firstborn

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dear Audrey,


Your time as an only child is coming to an end and, frankly, I find myself a little sentimental about it.  To think that in just a short time you will be a big sister and we will be a family of four is still difficult to wrap my mind around.  Never again will it just be the three of us.  Many people would say that you got the better end of the bargain:  32 months of having your father and me completely to yourself.  Over two and a half years of undivided attention, unshared toys, and uninterrupted interaction.  (For the most part.)


Still, the way I see it, Luke is going to have it pretty good, too.  When you go to preschool this fall, he'll have some one-on-one attention.  When you go off to school, he'll have me to himself most of the time.  When you leave for college (ugg), he'll get nearly the same amount of time ruling the roost as you did.  But more than all of that, he'll get our experience.  He'll get our confidence.  He'll get the benefit of our learned lessons, which we really owe to you.


So thank you, sweet girl, for being our first teacher.  Yes, we read the books and took the classes, but you...you were our first real educator.  And an amazing one at that.  You were patient and flexible with us.  You were quick to forgive and forget.  You were trusting.  Warranted or not, you believed we could do it.  You have taught us so much about parenting but an awful lot more about LIFE and LOVE and GOD.  Oh, the things God has taught me about Himself through you will never be taken for granted or forgotten. 

No doubt we still have an awful lot to learn from you and, soon, from your brother.  I imagine he's going to have all sorts of lessons in store for each of us as well.  I'm ready, Love.   You will be too.  Hang in there and keep being patient.  I know your world is about to change, but I promise, promise, promise that it'll (eventually) be for the best. 


Love you more than you'll ever know,


Mommy
xoxoxo





No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!