Similarities in Toddlerhood and Pregnancy

Friday, February 17, 2012

At nine months pregnant, I have come to a realization.  (Which is amazing, actually, since any thinking at this point is a miracle.)  My discovery is that my two and a half year old and I have quite a bit in common these days.  In honor of being full-term today, I've compiled a list below of the top ten similarities between us:


1.  Tantrums.  Though they can be brought on or aggravated by hunger and frustration, they often appear without warning and at the worst possible time.


2.  Mood swings and drama.  In addition to tantrums, we can both go from complete highs to bummed out lows in no time.  Or one second there are bursts of energy and the next we're lying down on the couch exhausted, wanting to rest and be left alone.  I haven't started sucking my thumb for comfort lately, but if someone suggested it would work for insomnia, I totally would.


3.  Bladdar issues.  Neither of us have a whole lot of control these days of when and where we have to go. Just be ready to get out of our way when we do and treat us to an M&M afterward.


4.  Lack of communication skills.  Though Audrey is quite the little talker, she often likes to make up nonsensical words and rhymes that no one understands at all.  Which is exactly what I'm sure I sound like to David most of the time, either from insanity or forgetfulness of basic English vocabulary.


5.  Need for naps and early bedtime.  I'm not sure who is requiring more sleep at this point.  She's still got the lead on actually getting more, though.  


6.  The inability to put on our own shoes.  One of us from lack of skill, the other from lack of breath and reach. 


7.  Klutziness.  Between my center of gravity having completely shifted and her still being relatively new (having only done it 17 months) to the whole walking/running/climbing/moving thing, neither of us should attempt steps without holding on to an adult's hand.


8.  Requiring regular snacks and meals.  We both need to be fed often to keep our blood sugar levels stable.  See #1 for what happens if we get hungry.


9.  Messy eating.  On top of having to eat often, I can't have a meal these days without wearing it on my "shelf."  I'm tempted to put both of us in bibs.


10.  Growth rate.  She's growing up, I'm growing out, but we are both getting so big so fast.  The difference is that she keeps getting cuter as she grows and I just keep getting, well...larger. 


And I'll leave you with one more good laugh at my expense.  This is a clip from one of my favorite shows, Scrubs.  Totally relatable right now.  Enjoy!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!