Thankful Thursday...and an Update on Chillaxin'

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I have to start out with a confession...since my post on Tuesday, things haven't been as chill as I'd hoped they would be. Now don't get me wrong, I've taken it a whole lot easier than I had been. But, I came up with a few last minute things that I decided I could either lie around and worry about or get up and do.

Tuesday was great! I took it very easy and only got up to clean the kitchen, do laundry, iron a few things, and cook dinner. And pack the diaper bags. And wash and sterilize a few bottles and pacifiers (which who knew how dadgum long that can take?!) But you can't blame me for doing that stuff. I mean, what kind of mom wouldn't have those things done yet? I felt like the women on the show "A Baby Story" that I laugh at when they say "The baby came a week early. We were so surprised and unprepared!" Really?! Oh well, it's done now. I didn't leave the house, so I should get credit for that. I did lie on the couch for a couple of hours straight and watch a really stupid Hallmark movie. Plus I caught up with some friends via phone and email and gave myself a manicure. And David helped me with dinner and the bottle/pacifier sterilization. So I practically did nothing all day.

Wednesday was a little busier. I got up early hoping to run a few errands before it got hot. I hit Target, Wolf Camera, and the bank, and then I met David at Carnett's Carwash at lunch. After we got our cars washed and detailed (they're so pretty and shiny now!), I ran over to Babies R' Us. I told myself I was done with that place until at least a month after Baby Girl got here, but I started panicking Tuesday night that I needed another sheet for the pack-n-play and of course thought of about five other things I just couldn't bring a child into this world without. It's a wonder we humans still exist considering how hard it must have been to birth and raise a baby before Babies' R Us stores and their fine commodities were around.

Anyway, I came home from that and finished organizing the photos and home videos that I picked up from Wolf Camera. I put away all my purchases and slept for about an hour until David got home. After pulling him away from his iPhone (the new OS v 3.0 upgrade came out today) he helped me cook dinner. We watched television and hung out for the rest of the night, with only a short break for a couple of quick chores.

Now before you think my gung-ho "take it easy" post was completely overstated, let me tell you about today. Today I was a complete bum. I slept in as long as I could, laid around, watched tv, and read, including spending some quality time in The Word. It must have been "Check on a Pregnant Person Day" because I got a ton of phone calls and texts so I spent a lot of time catching up with people, which was great. I didn't get out of my pajamas until 2pm and there was a good hour or two that I can honestly say I was bored. David had a golf tournament at work this afternoon so he got home a little later than usual. When he did, we fixed leftovers (yay for not cooking!) and played monopoly. All in all, it was a wonderful day!

So be proud of me! I did a lot better at relaxing this week and I truly feel more rested. Tomorrow should be fairly laid-back. I have an appointment in the morning to get our carseat reinspected. The Carnett's people took it out to clean the car, which I was not happy about, but realize it was my fault for not telling them to leave it alone. I wouldn't be so OCD about getting it rechecked except for the fact that they told us we installed it wrong at the first inspection. Which, by the way, is true for 4 out of 5 car seats. If you have small children, please consider calling your local fire or police department to set up an appointment to get yours checked (don't just stop by...there are usually only one or two people certified and you want to make sure they are there.)

Anyway, I have a hair appointment after that and then later we're meeting David's parents for an early Father's Day dinner. Saturday we'll do a little house cleaning and yardwork (I'll clean, David will do yardwork!) and then we have a dinner and movie date night planned. So, the weekend should include some more quality downtime for both of us. Assuming Baby Girl doesn't make an early appearance, that is! We'll keep you posted!


Now, finally, to my Thankful Thursday list:

1. My dad and father-in-law. In honor of Father's Day, I want to make sure I publically express my gratitude for these men. They are both amazing fathers who worked hard for many years to provide for their families while playing a very active role in their children's lives. They continue to put their families first and both would (and have!) dropped everything to do whatever we asked of them. They have loved us unconditionally through good times and bad, balancing support, discipline, and playtime astoundingly well. We cannot wait to see them in their roles as Grandfathers with our Baby Girl!

2. Sweet friends and family that check in on me and make the days go by faster with their conversations. I appreciate their concern and their prays for us!

3. A clean car! Although I know one day soon it'll be full of Cheerio crumbs and have handprints all over the windows and that'll be nice too.

4. Air conditioning. Oh my goodness is it getting hot! Our air runs pretty much around the clock these days and David is wise enough not to go near the thermostat!

5. A husband who doesn't rub it in when he beats me at Monopoly. He didn't even make me count up all assets to prove how badly he beat me. He is so kind!

Have a great weekend...and Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

1 comment:

  1. Good Lord, girl, what is it that you could possibly have left to clean this weekend? All my friends think I'm a neat freak, but I always feel like less of a woman reading your blog.

    I don't understand the "I stayed in my PJ's until 2pm" statement. I stayed in my PJ's the last three weeks of my pregnancy. Like the exact same ones. I mean, crumbs and stuff would fall off them when I hoisted myself up to go to the bathroom, but that's the closest I came to clean clothes. Ha! No, it wasn't that bad, but darn close.

    ReplyDelete